Strategy with overcrowdness and tons of water

Preston.W_HDO

I'm in Idaho. We hunt where there are a ton of roads, thick trees, and ton of water. I have found a "hidden" waterhole that elk frequent but wind is terrible. I think hearing different strategies would be great. Most of the time, depending on season, we like to hunt between the 12-25 (usually what our vacation let's us do.) Usually trudging around and sitting water midday. Its worked great for us.

One of the older guys (78) has pulled 3 300" bulls out in 5 years. One being 378. Pulled a 295 in 18'. But last year was horrible. 2 bugles in 11 days and one encounter. We think overcrowding and amount of campers might have contributed. Or maybe we just suck lol.

I guess my question is, what would you guys do?

My dad, uncle and their buddy have been hunting this area since the 80s. Doubt I could ever pull them away except for maybe a day hunt. The furthest from any traveled road (ATV) is less than a mile.20190722195537_MFDC0437.JPG

I would get as high as I possibly could in one of those heavy trees and sit all day.
If the elk feel comfortable they will hit it when they are thirsty, not when we think they should be thirsty.
It's not always a perfect set up.

I would do whatever that 78 year old is doing, 3 over 300” in five years sounds like the area is productive and he knows how to hunt it. One bad year is not worth leaving a place like that I wouldn’t think.

I would do whatever that 78 year old is doing, 3 over 300” in five years sounds like the area is productive and he knows how to hunt it. One bad year is not worth leaving a place like that I wouldn’t think.
I'd do that too. BUT if he needs a spotter I can see if there's some room in my schedule to assist him.

If you've found the elk you've accomplished most of the battle already. Get in there and get a couple stands hung.

Nice thing about 78 is he's retired lol. So from sun up, to sun down he sits water allllllllll month long. Lets every elk that isnt 300" walk on by. Very productive area. Just unsure what else to do if they aren't talking. I particularly don't like sitting water constantly just due to me being impatient lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back