Yeti GOBOX Collection

Strategy to harvest Ruffed Grouse or other game birds

uncle buck

All birds when they take off fly into the wind. A good strategy to remember when you hunt is to keep the wind at your back. When a game bird takes off instead of flying away from you it will fly toward you. You will have a few more seconds to make a shot.

A good strategy to remember when you hunt is to keep the wind at your back.
This is also true when taking a leak. ;)

Good advise uncle buck. I have only killed a couple of ruffed. I could never get them to flush. For the longest time, I didn't know if they could fly. :D

Originally posted by mtmiller:
This is also true when taking a leak. ;) [/QUOTE]

Yep that is so true. :D

I got my first grouse while fall turkey hunting. It was all by accident. But it flew directly away from me so it was a easy shot.

But It also meant I didnt see any turkeys there. ;)

How is the dog supposed to smell the bird with the wind at it's back?
If the dog hunts into the wind the dog will find birds faster. The hardest part of bird hunting is finding them. Hunt into the wind for the dogs sake. Ron

Ya cant recall the last time my Vizsla found a bird with the wind to his back. He has passed up birds with the wind to his back, but he has always turned and found them with it coming to his nose

Cameron, I have had dogs circle back and find birds but the chance of bumping birds goes WAY up with wind at your back. Ron

Doesn't work without a dog either. The bird will fly away from the danger. Occasionally in close quarters they'll fly straight toward you causing you to duck the brown missle. Never have been able to recover and shoot.

Originally posted by Kraven:
I just shoot Grouse where they sit and not wait for them to fly ;) :D
That won't happen often in the east and been that way for many years here.

It's legal to take them with a 22 here in WA. And I've got my 22 rimfire set up for just that. 1x4 scope and tack drivin ammo. Head shots only, makes it competative. If hunting with a buddy, we back up with a shotgun. Trade off after each bird. Guy with the 22 gets most of them. Wish I had dogs to hunt with.

WW

Originally posted by Quarter Round:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kraven:
I just shoot Grouse where they sit and not wait for them to fly ;) :D
That won't happen often in the east and been that way for many years here.
</font>[/QUOTE]My comment was not intended to be judgemental or imply it is illegal to shoot them with a .22, etc. My point is or grouse are wild/antsy will flush from a thicket at the slightest pressure and when you least expect it.

Comment in regards to another post related to this thread concerning ethics. It is my belief the greatest breach of ethics is the violation of our own ethics we chose for ourselves at some point. At some point all sportsmen decide the mold of their lives.

Around these parts it takes almost stepping on the dang things before they flush,and they scare the holy chit out of ya when that happens.No offence was taken on your previous post man,just stating the facts from here.Every place is different.I normally dont hunt over a dog and when I do see grouse is bustin the brush after Bear deer or Elk.

Still remember my first flush. 1978 Bird wasn't two feet from me. I ended up sitting in the road, wondering what the f--- had just happen. I was looking for deer, now I'M sitting the road???

Kraven is right on, when it comes to Ruffs out here. Most just sit there, you almost have to step on them to get em to fly. When they do, hang on to your shorts, it's a sharp right or left thru the trees. Occasionally they'll fly straight away 20 or 30 yds, then go left or right, land on the first branch 10 to 20 yds in.

Perfect bird for the 22. Sits tight for a head shot at 25 yds or lands on an a limb within 20 yds.

They’ll all scare the shit out of ya, if you don’t see them first.

WW

Back