Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Straight walled cartridges

There’s not much I wouldn’t shoot with my 450 Bushmaster. Hammer makes some solid bullets for it and it’s stupid simple to reload for. I had a Remington 700 built when the Michigan laws changed and I’ve never looked back. I think it’s a better choice than 350 Legend from what I’ve seen.

MS change the muzzleloader regulations to include single shot straight wall cartridges for the two week muzzle loader season a decade ago. I bought an H&R single shot .444 marlin. It’s my go to gun to hunt deer with now. .444 marlin is an excellent cartridge.

Indiana resident. We went through a less-dumb version of this a few years back.
Take the cheap and easy way out and get an H&R single shot in 350 Legend.
Shelves are over run with ammo most places I've been (if only they could make and stock other calibers too).
Rifles are dirt cheap.
Give it a couple of years for Illinois to figure out WTF they wanna do.

I bought a Ruger 96 44 Mag, for pigs, when I was living in Fla. I Loved it, the pigs not so much. Deer in OH hate it equally. Ammo is not a problem.

Indiana resident. We went through a less-dumb version of this a few years back.
Take the cheap and easy way out and get an H&R single shot in 350 Legend.
Shelves are over run with ammo most places I've been (if only they could make and stock other calibers too).
Rifles are dirt cheap.
Give it a couple of years for Illinois to figure out WTF they wanna do.
I think you meant Henry? H&R went out of business in 2015 and the 350 Legend was not released until 2019. I haven't been able to find a henry 350 legend on gun broker, guns.com, davidsons or even cabelas. The stock design doesn't look to friendly for a scope. I think you would have to buy something to raise the comb if you mounted a scope on it.

I think you meant Henry? H&R went out of business in 2015 and the 350 Legend was not released until 2019. I haven't been able to find a henry 350 legend on gun broker, guns.com, davidsons or even cabelas. The stock design doesn't look to friendly for a scope. I think you would have to buy something to raise the comb if you mounted a scope on it.

If I couldn't find an Encore frame, I'd go CVA if I needed a single shot.

https://cva.com/product/scout-350-legend-blued-black-copy/

If I couldn't find an Encore frame, I'd go CVA if I needed a single shot.

https://cva.com/product/scout-350-legend-blued-black-copy/

And NOT a Winchester? What are you? Crazy? :)

aoEFMWK.jpg

Man those are beauties. I meant as far as a .350 legend in a single shot. I think if you wanted to church it up a bit you can get a Ruger No.1 in .350 legend.
Don't be so hung up on the .350 "Legend". It is anything but Legendary. A .32-40, .38-55, .38 Win, etc etc have much longer track records. Singleshots are much happier in rimmed cases anyway. You will be too. ;)

Man those are beauties. I meant as far as a .350 legend in a single shot. I think if you wanted to church it up a bit you can get a Ruger No.1 in .350 legend.
Ruger is only making the #1 in .257 weatherby, 275 rigby, and the 6.5 creedmore according to their website. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used one if Ruger chambered that round in past years? Not sure if you get one made in rugers custom shop? Always wanted a ruger #1 (as well as a red label) so that would be my choice if it was chambered in an allowed straight wall cartridges.

Last edited:
My dad and son (9yr old), share a CVA scout single shot in 350 legend. It’s a handy little rifle. My kid loves it. They have filled a few doe tags with it here in Tn with no issues. Not real fresh on the ballistics without looking them up but I know we use the 170gr Hornady American Whitetail factory load with good accuracy and recoil is nothing to speak of. From a distance it sounds like a 22wmr.

Ruger is only making the #1 in .257 weatherby, 275 rigby, and the 6.5 creedmore according to their website. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used one if Ruger chambered that round in past years? Not sure if you get one made in rugers custom shop? Always wanted a ruger #1 (as well as a red label) so that would be my choice if it was chambered in an allowed straight wall cartridges.

There are Ruger #1's in 405 Winchester. TR's big medicine for lions. Does a danged good job on ungulates too.

I grabbed a used .223 #1 for $500 at a pawn shop a few years back when I started working on the .358 wildcat I posted above that uses Starline's unformed .223. Ended up going with a Savage. So I'm now in the process of getting a barrel made and the no.1 swapped to this .358 for my son's first deer gun.

If I was to do it over I'd look for a no.1 in .308 and have it changed to .45 raptor.

When Ohio made the switch a number of years ago, I ended up with a Winchester XPR 350 legend. Ammo here is readily available. It has done the trick on a number of Ohio whitetails. I have shot the 450 Bushmaster a number of times and it would be a good choice as well, but the 350 is much easier on the shooter, especially when I am getting kids out to the range/woods. My Dad hunts with a 44mag in a ruger bolt gun, he is very happy with it. In today's age, getting ammo would help with picking one. I reload the 350 legend, it is a lot of fun to shoot (and pretty easy to reload for, but case length is crucial)

I'm kind of wondering what they mean by "single shot revolver"? The people that write these regulations don't have a clue. Maybe the writer reloaded for a 44 mag and didn't crimp the cases, thus a single shot after the first shot cuz the cylinder was then jammed tight?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back