Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Storms Hammer Arizona Elk Hunters

Arizonans certainly aren't equipped to deal with snow the way folks in Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana & other states are. There are no shortage of cars run off the road at the first flurry of snow in the high country. I've pulled my share of hunters/campers from bad situations when they would have been fine by keeping one eye out for deer/elk and one on the sky.

That said, this storm literally blew in like a thundering herd and dumped what it had in a short time. Hopefully, everybody comes out of this alright. Hadn't heard about the FF killed by the tree. Thoughts are certainly with his family.

Even around here where you can get 2' of snow in a short time, people drag there 5th wheel trailers up old logging roads. Some get to stay until next spring. Mice need homes too.

The Firefighter was Tempe Fireman Skylar Stock. During the storm a tree fell on the tent he was sleeping in killing him. Unfortunate and sad.
Storms are a major factor in hunting especially if hunters do not pay attention or plan. Always check the forecast and be prepared. Unfortunately I dont think you can prepare for a tree falling.
But this was a bad storm for sure, we got a lot of snow in a very short period. It has been a long time since I have seen snow fall like that here.

Horrible thing for the firefighter and his family, my prayers go out to them.

Hope that all others which are trapped by the snow's keep their heads about them and ride it out till rescue arrives.

The media as usual blew it way out of proportion.
yes it was a bad storm. however being the anti hunters they are they slanted it in a way that made it sound pretty bad, most of the hunters had NO warning from the weather, as it called for rain the week before in which the hunt started on friday most people take a few days off early for scouting and setting up.

shit happens and most hunters realize this, they are also prepaired for it, most can survive if they have to wait a few days as well., most could walk out of where they were with no problems, they would have had to leave there camps and vehicles behind, I am sure most of us had to do this in the past due to weather at one time or another. I know I had to leave my bronco up in the cascades for 3 weeks after a storm blew through a short hike to the freeway got me home no problem.. some hunters told sherriffs dept they would be ok and not to worry about them.

I was following some of the comments on azcentral and WOW those anti hunters are about as clueless as a banana.
The media as always SUCKS whne it comes to hunting especially here in Az.

on a side not NO one died from being snowed in, just the fire fighter when the tree snapped and I believe that was 2-3 days before the snow storm.

Delw

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back