NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Stolen in Western Colorado

Got most of it back today.

The spotter has been monkeyed with but is in good shape.

The sleeping bag has been used. Smells like ass. Crimes against nature may have been committed in there.

Havn't set up the tent yet. I hope I don't find hoof prints in there.

The guy that had my gear in posession was not the Peruvian, but a Navajo. The owner has muliple herds/herders in that area. I questioned the guy in person twice. It was pretty obvious to me from his behaviour that it was him. Boot prints even matched.

He burned through a complete can of fuel and my sil-nylon tarp is missing. Other than that it's mostly there.

Very pleased to see it again.

Kudos again to the La Plata County Sheriff department and the sheep owner for taking it seriously.
Good deal! I would have been surprised had it been a Peruvian. The ones I dealt with seemed like great folks and were just too glad to be in the US working to jeapordize it for some sporting goods.

The guy that had my gear in posession was not the Peruvian, but a Navajo. The owner has muliple herds/herders in that area. I questioned the guy in person twice. It was pretty obvious to me from his behaviour that it was him. Boot prints even matched.

I thought the culprit might be Navajo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 182
Oak,

That is the man, his horse, his dog, and the sheepowner/congressman.

I never learned the herders real name, he called himself something different on both occasions I talked to him.

Navajo sheep herder, you may be in luck. He just got 554 million from the government. I would sue for 1/2 billion just for emotional damages. :)

Emotional damages, that could be from the sleeping bag smelling like ass or the hoof prints in the tent!! Glad to hear you got your goods back. I hate thieves!

My thought is that you may never find out who stole your gear, unless by chance the local Forest Ranger or Game Warden happened to be working that area. Often times, when they are out and about, they jot down vehicle licenses for potential follow ups when violations, etc. come to light after the fact. I'd check with them, as the Sheriff's Dept. may NOT. They offer the best chance for a lead here. Problem is, if people of interest were developed, and they aren't cooperative in questioning, it's hard to get to 2nd base with them. (I used to be in the business, so know how things can go.)
Lots of times at trailheads, I take photos of vehicle plates and ATV registration stickers for this very reason or vandalism to my vehicle.

Back