Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Stock rig will it survive the west

I can understand that. I think alot of people just dont use their brains when it comes to being respectful even though it is public ground there are still ethics involved. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get more info about rules for UTV's in certain areas and on roads in Wyoming?

What are you hunting for? I can’t imagine NEEDING an atv for pronghorn. I don’t own or use one and shoot antelope, deer, and elk every year. Worst I’ve done is break my truck’s mud flaps, but I like hiking, have chains, and don’t drive places that look stupid to drive.

The only problem I see is that it is a GMC. Much better off to trade it in on a Ford!

There it is. I did it. I will sit back and wait for the outfall!

Just kidding. I go out twice a year. Once for elk, once for antelope. Have only needed chains once. Another way to read that is that we needed chains once! After you do some research into the area you will be hunting, you will know whether to bring the Ranger or not.

What are you hunting for? I can’t imagine NEEDING an atv for pronghorn. I don’t own or use one and shoot antelope, deer, and elk every year. Worst I’ve done is break my truck’s mud flaps, but I like hiking, have chains, and don’t drive places that look stupid to drive.
I am planning for elk. And looking at units 90 or 94. I dont plan on trying to use it for retrieving any animals. Like I say I haven't done any hunting out there and just want to try to make sure I am prepared for anything.

The only problem I see is that it is a GMC. Much better off to trade it in on a Ford!

There it is. I did it. I will sit back and wait for the outfall!

Just kidding. I go out twice a year. Once for elk, once for antelope. Have only needed chains once. Another way to read that is that we needed chains once! After you do some research into the area you will be hunting, you will know whether to bring the Ranger or not.
I have an 04 super duty that might make the trip versus the GMC. Just dont know that I want the heavy diesel trying to get through the mud. But I am with you I do love my fords. But my wife also really likes driving the GMC. Heard something once about happy wife happy life. :cool:

I am planning for elk. And looking at units 90 or 94. I dont plan on trying to use it for retrieving any animals. Like I say I haven't done any hunting out there and just want to try to make sure I am prepared for anything.
I’d use it to get as close to a downed animal as I could, while following the law and being a good sportsman. Getting in close once with a UTV might be less intrusive than four trips on foot for an entire day.

I’d use it to get as close to a downed animal as I could, while following the law and being a good sportsman. Getting in close once with a UTV might be less intrusive than four trips on foot for an entire day.
That is true. I hadn't thought about that. But if I could do one trip with the SxS and do it respectful it could definitely be easier on the surrounding animals.

If the GM vehicles have the goofy cardboard/felt engine cover on the bottom of the engine like the 2011 up F150s do, you'll most likely rip that off.... Personally saw it happen on 2 separate trucks :)

I would get some good aggressive 10ply tires.
If you are looking at tires I would listen to Carl. The problem with stock is not the size but the number of plies. The shale roads out west will cut through those stock tires like a hot knife and butter.

We did our first western hunt back on October for antelope in Wyoming. Got a stock, 2WD Ford F-150, with street tires. We went everywhere we needed to go, and we got antelope. We were aware of the weather, I'll admit, as it snowed. We didn't go out that day, but we probably could have. If it's wet/muddy, just park off the hardest road you can, and walk in. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

I run a 2019 tundra completely stock....if the roads that bad I have boots to walk in....and that’s where I want to be where others won’t go

One problem I have run into is the air dam under the front bumper. They can tend to drag. I have lost a couple of them.

I've thought about taking mine off, but I think they look kinda funny naked like that. I dont know why some enterprising fella hasn't designed and sold a low profile aftermarket version. Planning on trimming mine and trashing it once I booger it up lol.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back