Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Stock choices

Definitely worth going McMillan in their hunters edge pattern if 22” barrel on the 270. 24” might put balance a little far forward depending on what optics you have on it
Why would you recommend the Edge model over one of their standard Model 70 models? Lighter weight?

I guess I'm the only one that likes the Hogue stocks. LOL
Full alum. bed,20 years on it. I would not change a thing, it has not. Solid shooting platform in any weather.

HS, McMillan, and B&C are all top quality, BUT of the three, I’ve never had a McMillan whose contours I found to be less than perfect, but I’ve had both B&C and HS that were either poorly shaped functionally or ergonomically. Basically, with B&C and HS, I like some models and HATE other models. With McMillan’s standard fill all three are reasonably close in weight, but HS is probably the heaviest. McMillan’s edge fill is substantially lighter than anything from HS it B&C.

Hogue makes injection molded plastic stocks that are rubber coated. It’s totally different from the fiber/resin matrix construction of the higher end stocks. They are a budget option, and while potentially serviceable, they are quite inferior to the above three brands.

Most McMillan stocks with standard fill come in around 30-34oz regardless of the model. Originally all McMillan’s had the same outer shell and weight was controlled with the density of the filler. When they came out with the lightweight benchrest model the “Edge” they went to a 100% carbon fiber shell to save weight. Although it isn’t just the fill, “Edge” is listed under the fill section of the order for form. Edge fill comes standard in the Edge and the Hunter’s Edge sticks, but you can order any McMillan stock model with Edge fill. If you order a stock with Edge fill, it will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 26oz.

To be clear, the Hunter’s Edge is a little more streamlined than some other stocks BUT that’s not really where most of the weight savings comes from. Any other McMillan hunting stock will actually come in at a fairly similar weight if you order it with Edge fill. Believe it or not, you can special request an Edge or Hunter’s Edge in fiberglass with standard fill, and if you do, it will weigh about what all other McMillan’s weigh.

Last edited:
HS, McMillan, and B&C are all top quality, BUT of the three, I’ve never had a McMillan whose contours I found to be less than perfect, but I’ve had both B&C and HS that were either poorly shaped functionally or ergonomically. Basically, with B&C and HS, I like some models and HATE other models. With McMillan’s standard fill all three are reasonably close in weight, but HS is probably the heaviest. McMillan’s edge fill is substantially lighter than anything from HS it B&C.

Hogue makes injection molded plastic stocks that are rubber coated. It’s totally different from the fiber/resin matrix construction of the higher end stocks. They are a budget option, and while potentially serviceable, they are quite inferior to the above three brands.

Most McMillan stocks with standard fill come in around 30-34oz regardless of the model. Originally all McMillan’s had the same outer shell and weight was controlled with the density of the filler. When they came out with the lightweight benchrest model the “Edge” they went to a 100% carbon fiber shell to save weight. Although it isn’t just the fill, “Edge” is listed under the fill section of the order for form. Edge fill comes standard in the Edge and the Hunter’s Edge sticks, but you can order any McMillan stock model with Edge fill. If you order a stock with Edge fill, it will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 26oz.

To be clear, the Hunter’s Edge is a little more streamlined than some other stocks BUT that’s not really where most of the weight savings comes from. Any other McMillan hunting stock will actually come in at a fairly similar weight if you order it with Edge fill. Believe it or not, you can special request an Edge or Hunter’s Edge in fiberglass with standard fill, and if you do, it will weigh about what all other McMillan’s weigh.
Thanks for that, I really appreciate the info. I was looking at the standard Model 70 stocks so it’s good to know I can get that in edge. So basically it would save about 6-8 oz if I pick the Edge fill vs and standard fiberglass of the same model?

Thanks for that, I really appreciate the info. I was looking at the standard Model 70 stocks so it’s good to know I can get that in edge. So basically it would save about 6-8 oz if I pick the Edge fill vs and standard fiberglass of the same model?
That is my understanding. I wish McMillan would just publish weights of each stock.

Well you guys talked me into it. Just ordered a Winchester Supergrade with Edge technology. Should be pretty awesome when I get it in 2-4 months.
Good choice. Can't go wrong with a McMillan. What are the specs on that bad boy?

Should be 26-28 oz, carbon fiber, decelerator pad, pillar bedded, gray color with black speckles, inletted for a Winchester model 70 in .270 Win.
I went with the gray paint with black speckles as well. No red pad?

Back