Winchester Model 70 - Float Barrel?

MTorWY

I got a used model 70 stainless synthetic in .270 last year. On the bench it was a tack driver on my first work up, but as soon as a put it on the bipod and put some flex in the stock it would send fliers 8” off at 100 yards.

So, I just put it on a brand new McMillan stock that you all talked me into. However, the barrel is not free floating. Should I sand out the barrel channel a bit, or see how it performs as is?

personally the first thing l do when l get a new rifle is to check to see if it is bedded and bed it if it isn't. the next thing l do is make sure that it is free floated. to me it is worth the time and money not having to wonder if it is the rifle when l'm building a load.

As @p-ham said. Shoot it first.

Otherwise, how do you have a base to go off of as to whether anything you do actually improves, or hurts your results?

I have several mdl 70's and all are free floated and not in original stocks. However, i would shoot it first, especially in a McMillan.

I have a Mod 70 in 270 too. Mine shoots 5/8” groups. I never felt the need to bed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back