Caribou Gear Tarp

Staying Warm on Late Season Hunts

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I usually don't post links to our YouTube videos on Hunt Talk, though the crew says I should post more of them. I am posting this one, given the most common gear question I get is related to staying warm in cold weather hunts. Regardless of what brand, what fabric, what boot, what sock, the principles are the same.

It's not that complicated. Most people who hunt warmer climates or do not have experience in active cold weather hunts, usually make the mistake of looking for one garment to meet all conditions and all activity levels. Those who hunt cold weather in active conditions, know that such garment doesn't exist.

Lots of cold weather elk hunters on Hunt Talk. Interested in other tips or ideas from HT members that we might have cut or omitted from this video, or ideas I might not be aware of.

I recently picked up some battery powered base layers, turn it on when you sit down to glass, game changer. Although the battery life leaves a lot to be desired

Curious to know your thoughts on heated vests and other equipment.
I might be a bit out of the norm, but I've never been in conditions where I felt I needed heated items. To me, knowing how to stay dry and warm, they seem like unnecessary gadgets, and that's coming from a guy who carries a lot of "gadgets" for our video production gig.

Sorry I don't have any experience with them. My perspective is influenced by seeing others try them and not finding them to be of much benefit.

Good information. I like building fires while glassing or waiting. I can’t afford high end hunting clothes, but do like warm, comfortable boots and socks. If I can stay out the wind helps a lot too.

I might be a bit out of the norm, but I've never been in conditions where I felt I needed heated items. To me, knowing how to stay dry and warm, they seem like unnecessary gadgets, and that's coming from a guy who carries a lot of "gadgets" for our video production gig.

Sorry I don't have any experience with them. My perspective is influenced by seeing others try them and not finding them to be of much benefit.
That’s understandable. I picked up a heated vest recently to wear to a couple of colder college football games. It worked well but it is heavy with the battery pack, the battery doesn’t last too long 3-6 hours on high/medium and it seemed to me to be bulky for a layering system. It will be interesting to see how the tech improves in 3-5 years.

I really like this video. I do a ton of upland hunting where I'm walking the whole time- lots of this applies. The biggest challenge is the shooting hand, because you don't have time to take off a mitten and shoot a flushed grouse or pheasant. I wear a chopper mitten on my left hand and often stuff my right hand in a fleece lined vest pocket with the hand warmers in there. The biggest odd ball thing I've found helps though is a lighter shotgun you can comfortably hold in a variety of positions (including one handed). I can hold the shotgun with my mitten covered left hand and have my right hand in one of those hand warmer muff things or fleece lined pockets, walk all day without getting fatigued.

I really like this video. I do a ton of upland hunting where I'm walking the whole time- lots of this applies. The biggest challenge is the shooting hand, because you don't have time to take off a mitten and shoot a flushed grouse or pheasant. I wear a chopper mitten on my left hand and often stuff my right hand in a fleece lined vest pocket with the hand warmers in there. The biggest odd ball thing I've found helps though is a lighter shotgun you can comfortably hold in a variety of positions (including one handed). I can hold the shotgun with my mitten covered left hand and have my right hand in one of those hand warmer muff things or fleece lined pockets, walk all day without getting fatigued.
That's my solution for upland hunting. I also use a small hand muff with a hand warmer. In the process, I have lost more of my right hand chopper mitts than you can imagine. I stuff them in a pocket or in a pack, but somehow they disappear if I don't keep them on my hand. If you are left handed, we could probably swap the left-hand mitts from the pairs where I've lost the righthand mitt.

Big Fin, I appreciated this topic and video. I think your practice of carrying and changing socks and your long pants - underwear are excellent ideas. As well as the advice not to wear your boots and socks for the trip to the trailhead.

The chemical hand warmers some have discussed are familiar to me. I've learned to put one under my toes in boots/shoes rather than in pockets for my hands. It makes a huge difference for me.

Get a pointing dog🤷‍♂️? Plenty of time to take gloves off.

Get a pointing dog🤷‍♂️? Plenty of time to take gloves off.
I'm way too excited to take a mitten off when I see a point. I take off running with a shitteatin' grin, hopin' they hold!

I usually don't post links to our YouTube videos on Hunt Talk, though the crew says I should post more of them. I am posting this one, given the most common gear question I get is related to staying warm in cold weather hunts. Regardless of what brand, what fabric, what boot, what sock, the principles are the same.

It's not that complicated. Most people who hunt warmer climates or do not have experience in active cold weather hunts, usually make the mistake of looking for one garment to meet all conditions and all activity levels. Those who hunt cold weather in active conditions, know that such garment doesn't exist.

Lots of cold weather elk hunters on Hunt Talk. Interested in other tips or ideas from HT members that we might have cut or omitted from this video, or ideas I might not be aware of.
That's a good video, but I can tell from that video (and others) that you're hotblooded. I am not, more like a lizard, I have to have way more layers, thicker layers, and simply have to refrain from doing some things. I live in puffy pants, I hike and hunt all the time in them. If it's bitter, like truly bitter cold (and usually breezy), I can't hunt, because I can't take a glove off... ever read London's "To Build a Fire"... that's me, like all winter.

Those boots would be a recipe for frost bite...

Ororo heated vest and socks.
It's the only way for me.
You put that vest under a good outer layer, and you will stay warm when it is super cold.

Heated items work, but you shouldn't rely on them! What happens when you're on day 2 of a 10 day hunt and your heated vest stops working!?

I'm hot blooded and my wife is cold blooded. I'll wear 2 layers when walking, she'll wear all her layers when walking. I don't understand how she's always so cold, but she has tried the heated jacket thing. It's cool, but it's not ideal.

For me what o have found to keep feet warm is to wear a moisture wicking sock liner and a thinner merino sock, instead of a big bulky sock.

Also oops that are a little loose and not cinched up really tight helps me. My hands always run hot and even when below zero if I'm walking I only have a thin merino glove on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back