Yeti GOBOX Collection

Static thrust for a mini air boat to be

Coyotes-R-Us

Been trying to find some Information that make sense to me.
As close as I can find My little bug motor 1600cc in my mini air boat I'm building, with a 59" three blade prop and 12* pitch blocks at 3000 rpm delivering around 50 hp. to the prop make 200 to 250 pounds of thrust.

OK SO what the heck does that mean?

Is that a lot or is that so small it would make a good hair dryer?

The calculations and calculators are very abstract to me and tell me nothing this simple Montana head can understand.

About half the calculators refer to water props and SOME flat out tell me that a 55 pound thrust trolling motor is around 3 hp. I can understand that. But air is way different I know.

Can any one help?

My head hurts.

Take this with a grain if salt...If I had a 250 pound thrust trolling motor on a small 16 or 18 foot aluminum hull, it would push that boat probably around 15 MPH or greater. Now, water will have much more resistance than air obviously so your speeds would obviously be greater. Most airboats that I see while alligator hunting here in Florida, run a 500 plus HP engine on a 16 foot boat and scare every alligator for miles off and they ruin the tranquility of the night hunts. We can't hunt them here like they do in Louisiana.

That is 10 times the HP I have .
Mine does not have 500 hp of noise coming out the headers.
I have mufflers and the prop is quiet compared to the big ones .
We can use anything we want at night for raccoon and coyotes.

My understanding is that boat propellers work on the basis of thrust, action reaction. Aircraft propeller blades are airfoils that as they turn create low pressure ("vacuum") in front of the blade. Consequently you do not only have "thrust" but also a low pressure area pulling the propeller forward. I do not know if propellers on airboats are the same design as aircraft propellers or if they are just a big fan blade.

I did do a search on mini-airboats and a production model had a 60 hp engine. Seems like your 50 hp would work. A lot of the discussion was on how much running around on dry ground you do. It seems dry ground requires a lot more hp.

Back