Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Statewide shed hunting season

Oak

Expert
It sounds like CPW will submit an issue paper to the Commission this fall to implement a statewide shed antler hunting season. There are no details out now, but it will certainly mirror the current season in Gunnison and Eagle.

These papers are typically heard at the November meeting and voted on at the January meeting. The November meeting is November 19-20 in Wray.

Should make for some great shed hunting for those willing to violate the closures. I love going out and looking for sheds but the popularity in the past decade has really hurt it. Too many people with a huge lack of ethics seeking internet "fame", bragging rights or $$. Some of the good spots around me get absolutely cleaned out by trespassers, those without jobs and a few people on disability that hike like mtn goats.

Should make for some great shed hunting for those willing to violate the closures. I love going out and looking for sheds but the popularity in the past decade has really hurt it. Too many people with a huge lack of ethics seeking internet "fame", bragging rights or $$. Some of the good spots around me get absolutely cleaned out by trespassers, those without jobs and a few people on disability that hike like mtn goats.

Dinkshooter should post his photos from the day before his local season opened this year....

How do these closures work?

Are public lands actually 'closed' as in you can't even go out and hike? Or are you just not allowed to pick up and take home sheds?

Shed hunting is insane in the southern Elkhorns. Guys set up month-long camps and others fly airplanes really flippin low. People on dirtbikes cruise up elk trails like it is nothing. It's horsechit and it sucks.

How do these closures work?

Are public lands actually 'closed' as in you can't even go out and hike? Or are you just not allowed to pick up and take home sheds?

The CPW regulations just prevent you from collecting shed antlers. In some areas there are BLM closures that preclude all activities.

I think the issue they are struggling with regarding the idea of issuing licenses for shed hunting is whether they have jurisdiction over antlers once they are shed. I'm sure landowners would squeal if they suddenly had to pay for a license to legally pick up sheds on their own property.

Hopefully Dink will post his photos of the good sheriff's deputy on workman's comp leave the day before the season opened. :eek:

You mean the guy that wasn't shed hunting dressed in camo with a backpack the day before the season opened?

Attachments

• IMG_0160 (1).jpg
    IMG_0160 (1).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 375
You mean the guy that didn't have muddy boot tracks leading back to this pile just off the road?

Attachments

• IMG_9450.jpg
    IMG_9450.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 375
If you were wondering..........................that wasn't his pile when 3 sheriff's deputies came after I call the fuzz yet that pile was GONE by the 10 am opener the next day. Strange stuff.

Next year I'm going hunting for shed piles with a sledge hammer in my pack. When they come back for their score they are going to find a pile of antler chips and dust. BAMM!

Next year I'm going hunting for shed piles with a sledge hammer in my pack. When they come back for their score they are going to find a pile of antler chips and dust. BAMM!
Holy moly, do I like that idea. Nuthin' illegal there and the only way someone can bitch is to out themselve. Thumbs up!

Like popping atv tires on a non-motorized trail. Love it. I wish I had the guts to do it, but I can see me busting up antlers much easier.

The squirrels and chipmunks are hungry. I thought I'd help them by breaking the antlers into bit size pieces.

Seriously though, a 6" elk antler (cut in half lengthwise) was $32.95 at my local pet store. This will be a tough battle with those type of prices.

If it was close to the truck Id pour a bag of cement over that pile and waste the opener watching through the spotter.

Bottom line don't bother to make rules that you cant enforce!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back