State with best draw results

CALIF Caveman

Hey its Calif Caveman:D
Can any of you guys tell me the states with best draw results for rifle elk? I've never hunted elk before. I'm thinking about putting in for any of the following states because they're close by;AZ, NV, NM.

Idaho has over the counter tags.... ut if you want anythnig bigger then a spike, you need to go to a different state.

If you want to hunt bulls (as opposed to cows) the farther you are from Calif., the better the odds get.
Of the three you list, Some units in New Mexico have decent odds.
If your willing to travel, as mentioned, Colorado and Idaho have some over the counter tags. Wyoming and Montana have decent odds on general tags.

Buy a $50 PP for elk in Wyoming between now and 9/30 and you'll be hunting on a general tag in a lot of different units with a chance at a good bull if you do your homework between now and Fall of 2012 and then go out and hunt hard!

If you want to hunt bulls (as opposed to cows) the farther you are from Calif., the better the odds get.

I can't agree enough. Hunting in SoCal is pretty bad. I like these three states also because of the terrain and trophy quality. Maybe I should try Idaho. Mostly want to try to get my old man his first elk and he's out of shape for big mountains. Could you guys tell me how long we'll have to apply for NV to get a tag?

I'm not going to in for anything in MT for now because of their rediculous nonresident prices. Maybe left over tags. I'm really looking forward to NV or NM but ID seems the best for me but I don't want to be stuck in a blizzard. AZ is known to be crowded so probaly not going for it. I just like these states because they seem to have good weather and terrain especially for a rookie big game hunter. And of the three I first suggested what's the best animal(s) to put in for(besides cougars and bears) in terms of drawing the tag? I sorry if I seem a little picky but that's just my limits.

I've never hunted any of the three you listed, but you may want to remove Nevada from your list if you think Montana is too expensive.

you seem have a lot of self imposed limitations. It may be a reasonable assumption that to do a hunt of a sort you have never done previously , you may need to broaden your horizons and limits significantly rather than start off with hard criteria and limits. Elk hunting is not deer or turkey hunting. Tags are usually much more expensive than deer tags.

"because they are close by" may be a poor reason to pick a nonresident elk hunt--unless you plan to do numerous scouting trips ahead of the hunt. Consider important criteria such as hunt quality, success rates, preferred terrain, opportunity to join an experienced hunter on his hunt, etc.? If you have a terrible experience are you really going to be satisfied with "Well, at least it was close by so it was worth it?" If you are gone 1-2 weeks on a hunt you are gone 1-2 weeks and drive time is not a 'huge' factor in that.

For a rookie who just wants to hunt elk, Colo is hard to beat. largest elk population, by far,and OTC tags at one of the lower prices available. Have not hunted ID but lots of guys on here have. could be a great choice.
good luck, you will be hooked once you chase a few elk.

As for what is 'best to put in for" all you have to do is ask "what do I want to hunt someday-eventually, even if not this year". Put in for every critter you may ever want to hunt, since every state except one, has preference/bonus points and you usually have to wait in line till your turn comes 1,5, 10...20 years later--with the exception of OTC tags some state shell out along with their limited tags.

Last edited:
Elk hunting is not deer or turkey hunting.

Amen to that.

I went on three DIY hunts before I got my first bull. I struggled and learned a lot on those hunts. If I had to do it over again, would get a cow tag first and hit areas with lots of animals (CO for example). I got my first elk in CO. A small bull and was hooked for life!!

Good advice given, especially from Khunter.

With all the restrictions he's put on the ability to hunt, I don't think he really wants to hunt elk....he just wants to come to a forum and ask questions to get easy answers

$273.00 for a non resident leftover cow elk tag for a unit that has tons of block management to expensive huh? Been going the last 4 years and put elk in the freezer every year. But to each his own..Just trying to help you out,,,but good luck in those other states

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back