Yeti GOBOX Collection

State Record Non-Typical Mule Deer

Stone_Ice_1

Headline got your attention didn't it?

Seriously though the Montana state record is many years old, shot in 1962 by Peter Zemljak Sr and scoring 275 1/8. I have seen pictures of the deer but have always wondered about any story behind it. What really makes me curious is the fact the 2nd largest deer was shot only 2 years earlier by his son Peter Zemljak in a different area of the state and scoring only 6/8" smaller at 275 1/8". I have also seen pictures of this buck, however don't know any of the story. It just seems to me, that of all the hunters to shoot a mule deer in Montana history, what are the chances a father/son combo shoot the two largest ever, two years apart?

Does anybody know anything about these two deer that they can share. Feel free to PM me if you like.

From the above link about the state record typical elk:
One morning at first light he took his .270- caliber rifle and headed out solo

It always interests me thinking about what people used to harvest game 60 years ago compared to what we consider "enough gun" today.

Thanks for the link fargo. I do enjoy reading some of these old stories. Would still like to find out more if anybody knows anything more.

gwhunter I've killed many elk with a 270, although I think with today's bullets its a much better rifle than it would have been back then. I do shoot a bigger caliber for elk now though, no harm in the extra insurance.

..even more amazing.

MULE DEER NONTYPICAL
Score: 275-7/8
Date killed: 1962
Hunter: Peter Zemljak Sr.
Boone & Crockett world rank: 73

I know a few Butte Rats who knew/know the Zemljaks (everyone in Butte knows everyone else). As I recall, one of the bucks was supposedly killed in the Ruby rather than the Highlands, I think thats what is says in the record book as well. I also think the one that was killed in the Ruby was taken fairly close to where the Mercer bull MT (former) state record elk.

My grampa killed quite a few hog bulls in that same country years and years ago. I still have the biggest one he killed, score just under 380.

That one always did have me wondering on the story. Such a crazy coincidence.

Another one that's always blew me away-

In 1971 Granite county kicked out the two biggest bulls ever killed in the state (429" & 423"), a 407 inch non-typical, and a 381 inch typical.

Last edited:
IIRC, Jack Atcheson Sr. wrote the stories out in his book "Hunting Adventures Worldwide." I read it several years ago. I can't remember the details, other than Jack though he missed one of the bucks earlier.

From the above link about the state record typical elk:

It always interests me thinking about what people used to harvest game 60 years ago compared to what we consider "enough gun" today.

Back in the day, if you had a .250 Savage/.250-3000 or a .30-30, you had a good elk gun.

That one always did have me wondering on the story. Such a crazy coincidence.

Another one that's always blew me away-

In 1971 Granite county kicked out the two biggest bulls every killed in the state (429" & 423"), a 407 inch non-typical, and a 381 inch typical.

Must have been a heck of a year for horn growth!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back