Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Starting research on Montana archery elk hunt

Devil Diver Down

I didn't draw AZ (didn't expect to) and thought that would be my only app this year, but I got some unexpected good news in the last week, so I'm considering applying for Montana Big Game Combo. I had done a fair amount of research a few years back and all of that info was lost on my Great Laptop Crash of December 2017. I started looking on the Montana Hunt Planner map and it looks like almost all of the public land in the state is in the West. I know the deadline is fast approaching (3/15) and am looking for a decent resource to start narrowing down choices. I may decide it's too late to try to get acquainted this year, but I'd rather explore some avenues now if I can. Are the Montana regs still hard to decipher for a dummy? Last time I read them I was so confused I decided not to even apply. Give me a break, I was educated in Arizona public schools.

What I'm looking for:

Non-resident Archery

Public land - walk-in access (I'm not afraid to hunt hard but probably not going to be hiking more than 3 miles from my vehicle because I'll be going solo and I'm not in good enough shape to be packing an elk out more than that).

I hate crowds.

Decent chance to kill a decent bull; prefer muleys over whitetail on the deer tag but that is a distant second priority

Decent stream fishing nearby is a bonus

Prefer not to be in Griz country

For those who aren't familiar with my posts here, not only do I want your honey holes, but I expect GPS coordinates of where the big bulls (370+) will be when I'm nearby. And, you should probably consider hanging orange flagging on their antlers for me so I can spot them easier. ;)

On a serious note, I appreciate any direction you can start me in.

Last edited:
After you get everything squared away with the combo tag, also apply for the limited archery only tag that is good for many of the central and SE units in the state. Lots of elk throughout, some decent deer hunting, good fishing, and no griz (probably).

I would recommend just hunting general tag or 900 archery tag. Not a bad idea to put an attorney on retainer to help interpret the regs either. :D

You've still got ten days to apply, plenty of time to figure things out.

This application packet FWP puts out prior to the full regulations is a more condensed and easier to digest version of the full regs- http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/buyApply/

First off you need to apply for a combo license. Either elk combo if you don't care about deer, or Big game combo if you want the deer tag also. I think the big game combo has slightly worse draw odds, but you'll want to check that. When you apply for this, buy the $50 preference point. Unlike every other point system I know of, this gives you an additional chance to draw the same year, not in the next year.

At the same time you apply for the combo, you also need to apply for a limited entry permit if you'd like. You'll only be eligible for this drawing if you draw the combo, but you still need to apply for it at the same time.

By having the combo license you'll have a general elk (and deer if you went with the big game combo) tag. In a very wide generalization, the general tag will be good for bulls in most units in the Western 1/3 of the state. In the central 1/3, and Eastern 1/3, you'll likely need a permit to hunt bulls. There's also a few hard to draw permit areas scattered around the Western 1/3.

The 900 permit alluded to above is good for most of the Central and Eastern units that aren't part of the Missouri River Breaks, but that do require hard to draw permits during rifle season. The 900 isn't very hard to draw. For the most part these units have private land issues, are lower elevation, lots of elk that aren't always accessible, and the best trophy potential in the state.

The breaks permits are given out on a unit by unit basis, and are a bit harder to draw but still not impossible. The breaks are more of a desert hunt. You will see elk and other hunters, trophy potential is hit or miss depending on where you're at.

The Western 1/3 are the general unit, mountainous units that the majority of people hunt. Lots of hunters, but the country is plenty big enough to get away from other hunters. Most of the high elk number units in this area have pretty low trophy potential.

It just comes down to what kind of country you want to hunt. If you want to hunt a really unique spot go for the breaks. If you don't mind hunting property boundaries, go for the 900 tag. If you just want to hike up a mountain and hunt elk and not worry about much else, hunt in the Western part.

If you do decide to hunt the western part, you don't need to apply for a permit. But you may as well apply for one of the trophy permits as a lottery ticket.

I'll gladly help out more if you need help narrowing an area down.

Not a bad idea to put an attorney on retainer to help interpret the regs either. :D

That really is true, isn't it?

They make sense to me, because I've seen them evolve over the years, but when I look at how much I had to type below to describe the system, it's mind blowing. It really seems like our whole system could be blown up and started over at square one.

It's mind blowing when I go to apply in Idaho and Wyoming, how much easier their regs are to interpret.

That really is true, isn't it?

They make sense to me, because I've seen them evolve over the years, but when I look at how much I had to type below to describe the system, it's mind blowing. It really seems like our whole system could be blown up and started over at square one.

It's mind blowing when I go to apply in Idaho and Wyoming, how much easier their regs are to interpret.

As a resident with NR relatives who apply, I have not found them to be difficult. Tedious, sometimes.

Thanks for the answers and especially to you, Randy. If you're ever looking for work, I suspect Montana FWP could use you to write up that simple breakdown of their regs. As 406 noted, they are tedious, but your synopsis surely helps me wade through the gobbledygook easier. I'll definitely go combo - would like to try to arrow a Montana muley at the same time and I've dreamt my whole life of fishing Montana streams for trout. Looking to take 2 weeks for the trip, work willing.

"If you just want to hike up a mountain and hunt elk and not worry about much else" probably describes me best but I'll also likely apply for a limited entry as you suggest - makes perfect sense to take the shot at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back