Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Starlink?

I’ve been reading some stuff that sounds like you will be able to “roam” with your setup. People are setting it up to go on their travel trailers or RVs and reporting good results. They have a map now that shows where you can sign up and if you are in the green you can have service within a week or so.

Negative is the cost has gone up to $110/mo. I’m paying $80 right now for wireless that gives me around 25mb speed, right now it looks like starlink is hitting 100mbs pretty consistently unless you are in an oversubscribed area and they have frozen new hookups in those areas.

I’m curious what the reliability is going to be, it might be worth the extra $ if it is super reliable, I probably lose my wireless internet connection 3 or 4 times and month. Would possibly be worth it for roaming also to have full blown internet wherever we haul the trailer.

The rural fire department of which I am a member started to use starlink about three months ago. We run about 150 Mbps, and have our e-pager system tied to it. Our emergency response is semi reliant on it. Zero outages in the last three months.

The one thing I am still leery about is that customer service is basically nonexistent. If something breaks or goes wrong, it seems like it will be a potentially cumbersome process to get it fixed. That said, to a person I know of about a dozen, all people do is rave about the product.

Last edited:
I received my equipment a few weeks ago and will be taking it up to my hunting cabin to try out tomorrow.

I tried Starlink a couple months ago. Turned out to be a bit off and on with speed. Would test fast at 50+mbs but in reality it wasn't, which I'm guessing has to do with the latency. The latency, I think, is also what hurts videochat calls on it.

My dsl was more stable and faster at half the price so decided to switch back to it.

BE WARNED - there is basically ZERO customer service as there is not a single way for me to contact them, via email or phone. It's very expensive equipment which I could officially return if I cancelled within 1 month, which I did just barely. However, I have no one to call to confirm it's all good and confirmed. There are online instructions but since I was on the cusp of timing I want to be sure. It's very frustrating how for a service that's so expensive they offer zero service.

For people in the mountains or places with unusable service, it'll be amazing for them.

I did hear the cost has gone up a bit,$550 for kit & $110mo. Heard of issues with wind and stability too. Latency. ? That should not be an issue,been called a latent such & such. LOL
Being a retrovert and minimalist these days, 'puter wise, I do not see an issue. Don't chat or zoom much these days. LOL Whadat?

I have the clear view thanks to pinion & juniper growth being short and home site placement. Have a gable end to mount it solid and saw the fix for instability issues. Saw a way to inquire about issues,with verification.

I lost hughs & dish for 4 hours in a wind storm due to slow re-acquiring Fri. Power outages will still be an issue. Life in rural NM. I will be saving $ without dish & hughs overall. $100mo savings.
My cell phone should work better too, being linked to it. And when I upgrade it next month. No more, no network connections available. Should be able to watch a movie without it buffering all night.

Ever hopeful in NM.

The rural fire department of which I am a member started to use starlink about three months ago. We run about 150 Mbps, and have our e-pager system tied to it. Our emergency response is semi reliant on it. Zero outages in the last three months.

The one thing I am still leery about is that customer service is basically nonexistent. If something breaks or goes wrong, it seems like it will be a potentially cumbersome process to get it fixed. That said, to a person I know of about a dozen, all people do is rave about the product.
There is a support function I used when we moved. I felt the same as you initially trying to figure if and how to stop the service, transfer the service to the new homeowners, etc.

It was VERY simple and extremely quick response from using their support messaging - used directly from my phone.

They responded within the day or maybe the next, even followed up later to see the status of the home transfer. My message history remained as new service members would assume the transfer process. They were very responsive and turned my initial concern (as you shared) a complete 180*.

Their service via support messaging was extremely positive.

Hope you don't run into issues though if you do, work through the Starlink app, support messaging and you too may be surprised.

We're coming up on a year of Starlink and have had maybe 20 minutes downtime total in that period. It has held up through blizzards, 40+ mph winds, torrential rains, etc... without skipping a beat. My wife uses it daily for telehealth video calls without a hiccup, and it streams 4K video just fine. 10/10 so far. Looks like the second generation stuff that is out now is even more refined and getting closer to being fully mobile.

Im on month two of Starlink in rural PA and its working great, by far the best option in my area. I even got it for one month at the 99$ rate :)

Finally, the winds died down enough to install the dish on the roof & get connected.
WOW! This is as fast as I've ever seen out here. As fast as any internet I have used, anywhere.
Stream podcasts,quick email,instant HT...
Even I got it working!
I got my confirmation email this morning. I guess you are saying to go for it....

just checked as last year they said it would be available in my area (in early 2022)

now they say "expected in 2023"

:rolleyes:

Helped my sister setup Starlink at her rural northern MN cabin this weekend. Biggest issue was finding a place to mount it outside between trees and the wall mount did not extend out far enough under the eave. Video streaming has no issues, one hiccup for a few minutes when a big thunderstorm was coming through. Currently three of us using it to work remotely and I am impressed so far.

Helped my sister setup Starlink at her rural northern MN cabin this weekend. Biggest issue was finding a place to mount it outside between trees and the wall mount did not extend out far enough under the eave. Video streaming has no issues, one hiccup for a few minutes when a big thunderstorm was coming through. Currently three of us using it to work remotely and I am impressed so far.
Trees blowing in the way will be an issue. Try putting it on the eave fascia board near the peak.

Got ours today. I did a quick sky check wit the iPhone app and set it out temporary. Its pouring rain here. I'm not feeling like the whole remodel it's going to take to bring the cable in.
I brought it in to our covered porch and the whole house is covered for Wi-Fi. This thing kicks butt!

Watching Fresh Tracks+ and YouTube fly fishing tutorials at 1080p with no glitches.

Worked remote in the middle o' nowhere on a ranch all winter in NW CO and it was fantastic. Switched from Viasat which wasn't great, had a delay on all my calls. No delay with Starlink. The number of launches per year and 60+ payloads per launch are definitely causing stress on the fine folks that have to track it all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back