Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Starky Experimental! Any elk 2019 rifle tag!

GreyGhostKiller

I am going on my first ever rifle elk hunt in the starky experimental unit this October! I've have been archery hunting since 2003 never thought I would ever rifle hunt. My buddies dad is getting older and wants an elk worse than I do, so I decided to go for it and help him draw and we did. Going to try and get him a bull first than work on myself, if I don't so be it I have archeryseason next year. I know it's allot to ask but any guidance you guys could bring to the table would be greatly appreciated. We scouted it in August saw 3 elk kinda worried.

Thank you I'm excited to go I'v the hunt and already seen allot of posts on this forum. Lots of positive comments, a nice chess new of scenery!

My coworker has hunted it and his son drew a cow tag that starts in October i believe. The bio told him there is 450 elk right now in there and they want it down to 150. I'm sure once folks get hunting in there, the pressure will move them a lot.

Good hunting and be safe.

Kris.

They are closing it down and not going to have elk in there anymore. I hear they will point you in the right direction of the hearts when you get in there

I talked to someone who had it last year and were discouraged bigtime,,,leave it to oregon to screw up yet another hunt,,{whats the 450 down to 150 gig about}??? good luck,,{my beattys butte antelope hunt this year was ugly} piss poor management i m o

My coworker has hunted it and his son drew a cow tag that starts in October i believe. The bio told him there is 450 elk right now in there and they want it down to 150. I'm sure once folks get hunting in there, the pressure will move them a lot.

Good hunting and be safe.

Kris.
Thanks
I talked to someone who had it last year and were discouraged bigtime,,,leave it to oregon to screw up yet another hunt,,{whats the 450 down to 150 gig about}??? good luck,,{my beattys butte antelope hunt this year was ugly} piss poor management i m o

That sucks about you antelope hunt, I took my wife archery elk hunting in murderers creek which I've elk hunted there for 15 years and it was a waste of time. Hardly any big bucks and elk were mostly on gander and a couple other ranches.

They are closing it down and not going to have elk in there anymore. I hear they will point you in the right direction of the hearts when you get in there

Seriously have not heard that! Wonder if finding goy cut off. They should use the money for predation on all units

Just wanted to tell everyone who was gracious enough to comment. I was successful in my elk hunt during the any elk starky experimental. I was able to harvest a nice 6x6 bull. My buddies dad had a shot at a 5x5 and chose to pass he was looking for a 350 type bull. Anyways, we hunted all through the unit 37 miles in 4 days, I missed a really nice 340+bull day 2 of the hunt and tagged out on day 3. We hunted meadow cr found only hunters, we walked 11 miles on day 1 not a single elk was seen. Day 2 went to a new spot 9 miles found a big 6x6, 4x4 and spike running with 9 cows and he was bugling! We had 3 bulls bugling when we were hiking out at dark. Dobby go to meadow cr too many people. Found all the action on the south side of the unit. They let 200 cow tag holders drive on all roads including closed roads the week before my hunt and the week before that 200 more cow tag holders did the same. Only 6 bulls taken during my rifle hunt. 22 cows during the cow hunts and 3 bulls during the archery hunt. Very poor conditions with all the hunting pressure this year. Hunt hard and you will be rewarded. They are in the thick pockets of the unit ray cr, bear cr, little bear cr, and parts of meadow cr after day 2.

Attachments

• 20191025_081344.jpg
    20191025_081344.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 20191026_091627.jpg
    20191026_091627.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 79
  • 20191025_081201.jpg
    20191025_081201.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 72
Well done; Starky is great country, I’m glad you guys did well in spite of what sounds like a soup sandwich series of controlled hunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back