Standard Rebarrel a Rem 700 or Rem/Age

BucksnDucks

Does anyone have any experience or advice on the best approach to put a new barrel on a 50 plus year old Rem 700 long action?
I was given the used rifle as a teenager and it was all I knew for deer, antelope and pig hunting for almost two decades. I may have "wanted" a new rifle but didn't need one and couldn't justify it financially. In the last 7 or 8 years I have picked up a couple new rifles (6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08) and used those two exclusively. So now I'm interested in a flatter shooting long action that I can drop into a new stock. The 30-06 treated me fine but I'm eyeing the 280 AI.
Does it make sense both dollar wise and accuracy to rebarrel? if so Rem/Age or standard shouldered barrel? Or is this a waste of time and money and just look at new?
If I buy new, 30-06 will likely just sit in the safe.

Don't mess up that 700. There are some bullets these days that sure wake up the .30's. They shoot plenty flat even in the .06. mtmuley

^ what he said.. seems like a sin to do that to a 50 y/o gun.. I have a load developed for my 06 that is pushing a 168 over 2900 fps.. that's approaching .300 wm zone. I would buy a new rifle on sale in the caliber of your choice.. or if you really want to build one pick up a used savage or stevens action and build off of that. You will likely still be around the same price. I just picked up a used savage 110 in 7mm for 200 bucks. with a aftermarket stock and McGowan barrel in 28 nosler I will be in the whole gun for 750 bucks with no gunsmith fees required.

Those old 700s are great rifles and the 06 is a great caliber.
The barrel may be extra tough to remove on one that old. Some careful heating may be needed. But get it too hot and it will be ruined. Maybe best done by a smith.
If it still shoots well and the rifling and chamber look good, I don't recommend a new barrel at all.
The 30-06 is plenty capable with factory ammo and a good hand load can make it really shine.
If that's just not good enough I recommend thinking about renting a reamer with a set of go/no go gauges to re chamber it in 30-06 Ackley Improved.
Relitively easy compared to a barrel swap on an old 700.
The Ackley 30-06 is one of the real improved cartridges out of all the AI chamberings. A gain of 100-200 fps is what can be expected. This will raise pressure dramatically though and a good looking over by a gunsmith might be a good idea before investing the time and money in any upgrade.
For the time and cost, I would leave it alone.
Several rifles out there for less than $500.00 in many calibers.

I have a Remington 700 BDL purchased by a family friend around 1964 in .300 Win Mag. He gave it to me about 10 years ago. The rifling forward of the chamber wore out to the point where accuracy was just terrible. I had a new barrel installed by a great gunsmith. It is a tack driver once again.

Rem/Age will probably require you to alter the stock to get it to fit. Bugholes.com has a similar setup that is smaller that may not require the stock to be altered. If you plan on changing barrels quite often, I'd consider the Rem/Age or similar. If the rebarrel will be a one and done thing until it's shot out, I'd have a regular shouldered barrel put on.

The 280AI would be a good choice! You should be able to get 160gr bullets up near 3000fps. Not much one can't hunt with that! I might lean a bit more towards the a 6.5 on the '06 case, but that's kinda picking nits at this point. Then again, a 30-06 makes for a good "big" companion to the 6.5 and 7-08 you currently have...

I'd be for customizing the rifle you have with a new barrel and stock over buying something new. It could allow you to get closer to what you want. I'd have a new 8 twist 7mm stainless barrel put on, pair it with a McMillan stock of your choice (mine would be a Rem Classic pattern with a molded in swirl finish). Paired with a sensible scope you should end up about 8-8.5# ready to hunt. If you want it a bit lighter you could drop down a barrel contour and use and Edge fill stock.

If the 30-06 will sit in the safe if you buy new, one option is to use that money towards a new rifle in the caliber you want, and then you don't have to hassle with rebarreling. On the other hand, as others have mentioned, the 30-06 isn't a bad round and if the gun's still accurate, get into handloading and you'll have plenty of gun and accuracy for big game at reasonable distances. If you do buy a new gun, I'd recommend getting it in 7mm Rem. Mag. The .280 AI is just as good, maybe better, but consider your cost of ammo, too. Last but not least, the scope and rings are very important parts of the whole system, so don't skimp, and keep that cost in mind as well. Maybe you can use the scope and rings off the -06, depending on how reliable they are.

If the rifle shoots, I say leave it as 30-06. You can get some loads that are only a few hundred fps slower than 300WinMag without the extra powder burn.

If the rifle is done then I would suggest having the action trued (aka blueprinted) and rebarreled with a nice Proof Research barrel. Then put a new trigger and stock on yourself. Since you're rifle has a standard bolt face, I'd probably have to suggest 280AI. If you spend the $ on a new bolt face then you're into "magnum" cartridges and I'd go with either a wildcat or one of the Nosler cartridges.

As an old 700 -06 shooter I'd say it would be a mistake...if it shoots & is not burnt out.
Drop a Timney in it,maybe a new stock & get some Nosler Trophy 165 AB's.
Check the load data on the Noslers & you will be surprised.
Mine is 45 yrs old, is still a tackdriver & has dropped everything I have shot at with it.

If it still shoot's well, I'd leave it alone. If you had other 30-06, then I could change one. I inherited a 25-06 on a 700BDL when a friend died. I already had one and mine shot better than the BDL, mine is an ADL. So wanted a 6.5x06 for a long long time and that's what my BDL is now. If the gun was valuable, maybe not but I would still consider it. I have a very valuable Paul jaeger 03 in 30-06. Barrel's inside ain't much to talk about and I did consider having the barrel bore to 338-06. Didn't do it though. Not it's my elk rifle. First year using it, one elk!

I appreciate all the replies, thanks guys. I'm seeing a lot of "keep it if it shoots" and I'm leaning that way for now. I am intrigued with the relative ease of the barrel nut, but for now she stays as is. I did fine hunting with just that rifle and just a couple boxes of Core Lokts for many years.

I like to keep my old guns just that....if they have any sentimental value for me. With some of the offerings today I would consider buying new. Unless you want to totally change things and basically just use the action on your 06. Good luck!

280AI is a great round. When I have the itch I scratch it. That's what gun nuts do......
Plenty of places that can rebarrel it for not a lot of money.

If you want a 280ai I'd say rebarrel your rifle. You will get a quality barrel that if chambered well will shoot great. Also you get your choice of twist rate, barrel contour and length.
Also it will still be the rifle you grew up with just a new barrel.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 30-06 and handloading only makes it better. I took a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter and had a new 24" Shilen Match barrel chambered in 280 AI. The trigger was made perfect at just shy of 3# by my gunsmith and he pillar and glass bedded the walnut stock. I love that rifle but I will never part with my Ruger 1B in 30-06. It shoots amazingly well and kills like lightning.

I guess what I'm saying is it just depends what you are itching for!!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back