Stainless steel rifle- does one really need one?

GlockZ

Not that I need another rifle,(but I do have a bit of room in my safe yet), but have been toying the thought in my head that I don't have one rifle in stainless steel. I'm pretty anal when it comes to taking care of my gear, more so when I hunt in foul weather, but still... I don't have a rifle in stainless. So my question is, do I really need a rifle in stainless? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I would never buy a blued rifle again. Either stainless or some of the high tech coatings is the way to go.

I bought stainless after a 10 day hunt yrs ago that it rained and snowed every day. All five of us with various brands of rifles from high to low end had rust showing up by day 3. Who wants to oil their gun everynight after a long day of hunting? Went stainless and I put a few coats of the drying rust preventer before I leave and I forget about it until I get home. Wouldn't ever go buled with fancy wood stock for a mountain rifle again. So not mandatory but nice.

I would never buy a blued rifle again. Either stainless or some of the high tech coatings is the way to go.
High tech coatings (e.g. Cerakote) aren't applied to the bore though, where it really matters. While unsightly, "stains" on the outside of the barrel or receiver aren't the detriment that they are in the bore. I can't believe LSI took the SS option away from us in the Howa line. Contrary to what they think, some of us weren't buying their SS guns just for the looks. Luckily, there are other options.

I vote stainless. No experience with the cerakote, but tons with the blued barrels. It is surprising just how quick rust can creep up.

I have heard the stainless is easier to clean copper from. Any truth? Also, the it holds up better to heat from the magnum loads.

That is interesting RobG, I have not heard that. It does kind of make sense,that copper is easier to clean from stainless. Does anyone know if what Rob says is true?

So I'm convinced that I should get a rifle in stainless, now all I have to do is come up with caliber,kind of leaning towards the 300wsm,for some reason I am interested in it. Thanks everyone.

I like the looks of my Remington 700 BDL 25-06 and Model Seven 7 SAUM stainless rifles.

I seem to be the opposite, I hunted with a stainless rifle for years, then have gone back to blued/walnut with the last couple guns I've bought. Oiling a gun isn't hard, and I just personally prefer the looks of a blued gun.

Stainless rifles still need care. They do allow a certain amount of margin for error when used in wet and dirty conditions. I use my rifles hard. I'm not a collector, they are more of a tool. I take damn good care of my rifles, but like the stainless or coated insurance. mtmuley

I usually hunt when the weather is wet and crappy. I have 2 stainless model 70 Winchester classics, in 30.06 and .375H&H. I'll never go to wood and blue again. The barrels are easier to clean than blued ones IMO anyway.

I have not bought a wood stock on a gun in 20 years. They swell, change accuracy, split, dent and generally look best in a lighted gun cabinet. I have not had an issue with rust on wet hunts. I have blued barrels. I take a cleaning kit and wipe the metal down each evening. I put a bit of electrical tape over the end of the barrel, too.

I have both but the blue/wood rifles are hand me down heirlooms and sit in the safe. My stainless rifles get all the work these days. I agree they are easier to clean, and +1 on Cerakote also. Those wood/blue rifles still catch my eye sometimes though. Had to force myself to put a Kimber 84M in 308 back on the shelf the other day, one day maybe.

Needed, heavens no. IMO, though they are less maintenance while on a hunt. If mine get wet though I still get them as dry as possible and oil them. I rag soaked in gun oil in a ziplock takes up little room and weighs next to nothing, even on a backpack hunt.

To answer your original question, no, you don't "need" one. But, a Remington Model 7 I have in 7mm SAUM has the slickest, smoothest bolt on any Model 7 or 700 I have; its coincidentally the only stainless one I own. I don't think that most of us have to endure conditions that "absolutely require" a stainless rifle.

On a side note, a TC muzzleloader I owned would rust if uncleaned for a couple of days. Not all stainless is the same!

300 wsm is an awesome caliber. The options for reloading are great. The recoil is very manageable. It handles everything from antelope to bison, hogs included.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back