Caribou Gear Tarp

Cleaning at the end of the season

Laelkhunter

My rifle seems to need 12 to 15 shots before it gets back to it's best accuracy after cleaning to bare metal. Question is, do you guys (and gals) clean to the bare metal to store your rifle, or do you just run a patch or two to remove loose fouling, then store it away til next season. I have a stainless barrel and several dehumidifiers in the gunsafe, so I feel it is protected against rust, but if I have only fired 20 or so rounds since a thorough cleaning to bare metal, is it safe to put it away til next season? I know, stupid questions but hunting is mostly over for me and I'm bored already.

Last edited:
Run a patch with nitro-solvent (not copper remover) followed by a dry patch (or a brush then dry patch) through the barrel. Next run an oiled patch through. light oil on all metal then put it away. A bore guide might be a good idea to keep solvent out of the action.

This was the routine we did for the 22lr target rifles for my kids small bore classes at the end of each season. keep in mind that these were target guns and accuracy was paramount for them to get consistent bullseyes on a 50' NRA small bore target.

There is a bunch of information out there on "seasoning barrels". Basically the copper fouling fills in imperfections in the barrel, affecting accuracy.

Last edited:
If accuracy is not tapering off and there's no foreign material to get out (i.e. dirt/water), I don't see any reason to clean it. I often clean every 100 rnds or so just becasue that's the batch size I reload in, but have gone 200+.

I guess now would be a good time to find out. How long does it hold it's best accuracy after cleaning to bare metal? I'd run a few tight patches with rubbing alcohol [the 90% version would be better if you have it] to clean out loose carbon fouling. Next a loose patch with oil. As a rule I don't oil stainless bores. Store muzzle down to prevent any oil from creeping down into the chamber tho this should be very minor. As for copper I see little point in removing it completely if it's just going to be replaced with the first couple shots. It's not a benchrest rifle so it doesn't need benchrest attention.

Ronsonol or even charcoal starter fluid can be used in place of rubbing alcohol.

I clean my guns down to bare metal every year. Over time if copper is left in the barrel, galvanic corrosion will cause pitting.

I still don’t understand why solvent is bad on an action?

Thanks 375. I was wondering if any corrosion can occur just by having the copper interact over time with the barrel steel. It is a hunting rifle, and I do shoot it in September and October preparing for my hunt. Problem is components and time are getting harder and harder to come by so having to shoot 15 rounds before it is shooting good is something I hope to avoid. BUT I certainly don't want any barrel pitting or other problems to occur from not cleaning it, so I posted the question. Thanks again.

I clean my rifle after each time I shoot. I rarely need a second shot (must be the flintlock guy in me making sure the shot will be good), so cleaning to bare metal is the usual way.

Maybe it's just luck, but I work my loads up so the rifles, either my 54 flinter, 30-06, or .243, put the fouling round inside the group. My problem is copper fouling, in the moderns, if I DON'T clean down to bare metal.

Takes a bit of time, but it's possible.

More rifles damaged from cleaning improperly than shooting. I shoot all rifles until accuracy diminishes then clean. If hunting in wet conditions tape over muzzle and run dry patch through at end of hunt. I’ll also sit them in front of fan with action open for a day or two. Wipe exterior down with a silicon rag.
These are mostly custom rifles.

I run a dry boresnake through it and then a patch with oil. All of my rifles shoot better a little dirty. My muzzleloaders I'll boresnake and oil, but then foul the barrel with one shot and that seems to do well.

I blow the bore out with my air compressor and then Brush/Patch/Brush/Patch/Brush/Patch/Brush/Patch.

Oil patch.

Put it away.

I don't have a bore scope, so I have no way of telling if I am down to bare metal or not. And to be honest, I don't care. A gun is just a tool.

I used to clean my guns just about every session, which was like 20 rounds ish. Then I had kids and now I clean about once a year, Usually after hunting season because I won't shoot for a few months generally. Haven't noticed any difference in accuracy. I generally clean with Hoppes #9 to get out powder fouling and then sometimes do JB non-embedding bore compound to get out copper. Clean all that out and leave a thin layer of RemOil.

If accuracy is not tapering off and there's no foreign material to get out (i.e. dirt/water), I don't see any reason to clean it. I often clean every 100 rnds or so just becasue that's the batch size I reload in, but have gone 200+.
Interesting take, I’ve seen this done before and have 1 rifle I do this with. Do you oil the barrel at all?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back