Stabilizing binoculars when glassing?

elk_newbie

Coming into my first season Rocky Mountain hunting, which I'll be pursuing Elk in Sept and Mule Deer in Oct. Having said that I'm also new to glassing. I purchased a set of Leupold Alpine BX2 10x52 binoculars which I'll be using. The little I've practiced around my community I notice I have trouble stabilizing, which can be a problem at distance. What tips do folks have that are more experienced than me regarding getting a stable image when glassing. Obviously using a prop of some sort would help but I'm struggling to come up with what I could use when planted on my rear end for hours at a time. Also be interested to get advice on how folks can glass for long periods of time without going cross eyed.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggesttions.

+1 on tripod. Can also be used for your spotting scope, a camera and as a gun rest. Get a good carbon fiber one for the best weight to performance ratio. Also look for one with a center post that has a hook on it that will allow you to hang a rock or weight from it for additional stability.

For the cross eyed issue, you can get a phone scope mount that will allow you to mount your cell phone to your optics so you have a screen to look at (and take pictures) vs. having your eyes in the optics all day, or something like the SpotShot that actually has a camera built into it and streams to your phone or tablet so they don’t have to be physically connected to the optics.

Gripping the brim of your hat with your index and middle fingers while sitting and resting your arms on your legs stabilizes binos pretty well, but not like a tripod. If I’m glassing a spot for more than a minute or two, I always set up the tripod. You’ll be amazed what you see if you try it.

Also, if you do go the tripod route, I HIGHLY recommend getting one of these to use to mount your binoculars to it:

Last edited:
Gripping the brim of your hat with your index and middle fingers while sitting and resting your arms of your hat stabalizes binos pretty well, but not like a tripod. If I’m glassing a spot for more than a minute or two, I always set up the tripod. You’ll be amazed what you see if you try it.

Also, if you do go the tripod route, I HIGHLY recommend getting one of these to use to mount your binoculars to it:

Beat me to it.

You can double the effectiveness of your binos with a quick release adaptor and a monopod, which also doubles as a trekking pole. I use this set up for closer distances, or brief glassing sessions.

Tripod probably triples the utility of binos and is better for dedicated glassing spots/sessions. Mine has a ball head which is fine for binos, but if you plan to get a spotter someday a pan/tilt head is better.

Gripping the brim of your hat with your index and middle fingers while sitting and resting your arms on your legs stabilizes binos pretty well, but not like a tripod. If I’m glassing a spot for more than a minute or two, I always set up the tripod. You’ll be amazed what you see if you try it.

Excellent idea. Unfortunately, after looking into this there aren't any adapters for Leupold BX2 Alpine binoculars. Most other models...just not the Alpine. Thanks for suggestions anyway

i use the Swaro universal tripod adapter. I know they make similar ones for cheaper, but that might be an option for you to attach your glass to a tripod.

If you decide to use a tripod and mount binos on it, a good head on the tripod is essential (e.g. sirui VA-5 head), otherwise it's pretty much useless. I learned that the hard way.

Excellent idea. Unfortunately, after looking into this there aren't any adapters for Leupold BX2 Alpine binoculars. Most other models...just not the Alpine. Thanks for suggestions anyway

Here's a universal adapter I made for a few dollars. Works well for me.

In a pinch...I’ll hold my binos to my hat brim.

Ideally like others said already...a tripod and a bino tripod adapter is best.

Back