A $6 DIY binocular tripod mount

Paul in Idaho

My binoculars are over 15 years old and don't have a threaded mount option to put them on a tripod. I finally got a lightweight tripod for backpack hunts, and found a cheap solution for putting my binos on the tripod. My total materials cost was about $6. Here's the info in case anyone else may want to try it.

Materials:
1: 4" ABS pipe coupler
1: 1/4"-20 3/4" bolt
1: 1/4" lock washer
1: 1/4" flat washer
1: 1/4"-20 rod connecting nut
16 to 24" of bungee cord
2 small hog rings

Holes are drilled on one side and the bungee ends inserted through them and connected with hog rings underneath. The other side has notches for the bungee loop to lock into. I ended up using about a third of the pipe coupler to keep the ends high enough to fit over the tripod head.

The total weight is a bit over 4 ounces now. I may switch to a lighter bungee material to reduce the weight. The bungee I had available is stronger than necessary.

Attachments

• bino-mount - 4.jpg
    bino-mount - 4.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 121
  • bino-mount - 5.jpg
    bino-mount - 5.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 135
  • bino-mount - 1.jpg
    bino-mount - 1.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 142
  • bino-mount - 2.jpg
    bino-mount - 2.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 147
  • bino-mount - 3.jpg
    bino-mount - 3.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
My binoculars are over 15 years old and don't have a threaded mount option to put them on a tripod. I finally got a lightweight tripod for backpack hunts, and found a cheap solution for putting my binos on the tripod. My total materials cost was about $6. Here's the info in case anyone else may want to try it.

Materials:
1: 4" ABS pipe coupler
1: 1/4"-20 3/4" bolt
1: 1/4" lock washer
1: 1/4" flat washer
1: 1/4"-20 rod connecting nut
16 to 24" of bungee cord
2 small hog rings

Holes are drilled on one side and the bungee ends inserted through them and connected with hog rings underneath. The other side has notches for the bungee loop to lock into. I ended up using about a third of the pipe coupler to keep the ends high enough to fit over the tripod head.

The total weight is a bit over 4 ounces now. I may switch to a lighter bungee material to reduce the weight. The bungee I had available is stronger than necessary.
Nice ingenuity! 👍

That’s awesome! I made one out of some scrap wood and a bungee that had laying around. Could possibly reduce the weight 20-25 percent if I honey combed it with a forstner bit but it works fine the way it is.D94C2B65-E6C0-44B3-8928-A6ABC97EB36B.jpeg

Those are great ideas. Thanks for the tip. If Randy was running a save money on hunting stuff contest, you guys would get a hat for sure.

Whether you are a serious wildlife watcher or just want a better view of the antics of the blue tits in the garden, decent binoculars will bring you an awful lot of pleasure. Just be sure to have a good think about how you will use them before you buy. Will you be tramping around misty marshes looking for rare birds where optical excellence is at a premium, or do you need a tiny pair you can stuff into a pocket? You can definitely choose the
^ That’s not spam..........🤦‍♂️

Whether you are a serious wildlife watcher or just want a better view of the antics of the blue tits in the garden, decent binoculars will bring you an awful lot of pleasure. Just be sure to have a good think about how you will use them before you buy. Will you be tramping around misty marshes looking for rare birds where optical excellence is at a premium, or do you need a tiny pair you can stuff into a pocket? You can definitely choose the
Gee, every single post this guy has made has an embedded link to something. I smell a rat... 🐀

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Paul. Many's the time I wished I could hold my Swaro binos just a little steadier, but they are an older model lacking the threaded hole. I just happened to see your post the morning before I was going to the hardware store and now I just got done testing the finished product on the tripod. This really ought to do the trick and I didn't even need any duct tape. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back