Square Flange bearing issue

Ben Lamb

So I'm replacing the square pillow block flange bearings & housings on the pugmill. Easy enough to find the right bearing, but I'm having an issue finding the spacers.

So, questions are:

Can I press out the center of these housings & replace with stainless liners?

Or do I need to replace the spacers entirely, and if so, where can I feller find them, because I can't find the danged things to save my life (online).

PXL_20220428_232412519.jpgPXL_20220428_232409385.jpgPXL_20220428_232344450.jpg

I'm thinking a machine shop might being order. I'm not keen on buying a 12 ton press for just one project.

I'll call both McMasters & Allied. Thanks for the tips gents!

To get the center steel races can be removed without out a press. If you have a welder weld a circular bead around the center and let it cool until you can put your bare hand on it. Sometimes they fall out but if not use a brass drift and knock them out. To put the new ones in it is great if you have access to liquid nitrogen but if not put them in dry ice and and freeze them. You have to be quick about it so have all your bearing drivers or a block of wood for a driver at the ready and hammer them in.

Update:
Took the carriers & the stuck insert to the local auto shop and the popped them out, but ended up cracking one of the carriers. Shouldn't be an issue as it's just a spacer, and isn't under any real stress, and I don't think paying 2 hours of shop time to treat it makes much sense for a 3/4 hp motor driven shaft turning at less than speedy rotations.

Time to degrease, prime & paint the carriers & housings and source some new bushings. Rest of the project is starting to come together:

1651761217662.png

Ben,
Not sure where exactly you are at but check out Motion industries or Energetics. They supply all of our industrial bearings at the plant I work. I believe they both have online help or shoot me a PM and I can give you the regional rep that we use.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back