Yeti GOBOX Collection

Spring Turkey Hunting Partner - Colorado

Natasha

Hi all ,
Im a 23 year old female hunter,
looking to learn how to hunt turkey and would love to find a spring turkey partner. Ive already put in for GMU 59, but i wont draw, i really was just going for points so eventually i can draw an awesome area. I know of an area for Rio, but im open to hunting either Rio or Merriams . I am a Backpack hunter ( only elk so far) and have no problem hiking 8 or more miles in a day if you want to hunt that way. I own a Compact 12 ga Winchester, at 6 lb its light enough to backpack hunt turkey. If anyone is interested, PM me and maybe we can meet up and see if we would work well in the field together.

Scout early in the morning and early evening trying to find birds making noise to either come out of the roost or fly up to the roost tree. If you can find the roost tree you'll be ahead of the game. Good luck!

I hiked around 10 miles yesterday in the north front range in Colo and didn't find 1 track. There was a little too much snow and the birds haven't shown up on the public land yet where I hunted last year. With all the snow I have a feeling they are on private down low. Merriams in the north front range can be a heck of a lot of work...but not impossible on public land. Merriams that I've seen either are fairly mobile on public land or tend to hang out in small parcels of private where they know they are safe. I'll continue long hikes until the season opens. Last year I lucked into a group on a small parcel of public land the evening before the season and got a tom opening morning.

I've done quite a bit of research the past few weeks trying to pin down better limited draw turkey units in Colo. Other than a few of the eastern plains limited units the OTC may be just as good as many of the limited units. If you want to swap notes send me a PM. I am a pretty big turkey fanatic! Good luck in your quest!

Hunt Merriams like they are little winged elk...although for the most part, you don't need the backpack and the long miles in. In most of our spots,and a lot of CO, FS roads are still gated in spring, and very few folks walk more than a half mile in (again, similar to elk rifle season). Park @ the gate, walk in, looking for tracks and call every couple hundred yards. Once breeding really gets rocking, Merriams are the most vocal turkeys out there. They might not run into the decoy as often as Rios or Easterns, but they will gobble their heads off.

I've managed to "book" myself full of turkey hunts as an unpaid outfitter already :) I just love to chase them. I am truly infatuated with Merriams. It's an elk hunt with a much easier pack out. my buddy will draw Purgatoire this year. he actually drew it last year, but after getting stomped by his horse (and a nice chopper ride down to Denver) in 1st rifle, he had to turn it back in since they found an issue with, and repaired, a heart valve whilst patching him up from the horse stomp!

I drew the Purg tag 2 years ago and it's a Fantastic hunt for the Rios in that cool canyon country, but the OTC Merriams tags are much more fun, IMO.

Howdy,

Any luck finding Turkey's yet? I have found a couple spots for some potential. Good luck with your scouting. PM me if you like too just talk the turkey lol.

Last edited:
Wish I could come help, but way too far to drive when this is what I've been seeing out my back window.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 448
If you ever want to chase the smartest eastern birds on the planet, come out here to Pa public ground.I usually fill my tag and my boys but its far from easy.Both my boys got big gobblers last year,and we've found some for this season.Hunting pressure is crazy out here,but the challenge makes it more fun.One year I plan to go west and get the other turkey species.Your welcome to join me for eastern anytime you want a big challenge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bowhunter3303
Back