Spring Chinook Salmon on the famous Rogue River

hunter72

Good Morning Fellow Fisherman. Hoping all are being safe and taken care of!
Well! Finally after quite a few weeks of pondering whether or whether not to hit the great Rogue River for Spring Chinook Salmon due to such low water conditions and numbers way down I loaded up enough gear for a week and headed down the road.
With the River only about an hour forty five minutes away from home, not a long distance but one you don't want to pull back and forth every day for a couple months.
Got there just in time to set up my gear and wet a line for a couple while setting up for comfort on the Rogue.
This Fishery unlike most salmon expeditions is one that patience is needed and I mean at time a lot of patience.
What I mean by this is; instead of trolling Plug Cut Herring or maybe Spinners we anchor up on inside corners with the magic depth of 5-6 ft of water and sit and wait for these fish running up river to the final destinations. These inside corners with the depth I mentioned keeps the fish in water much slacker then the full current running outside these depths.. Chinook Salmon are a lazy fish and always with all the years I have fished them seem to take the easiest way up stream then fighting the currents.
First evening which was cut short due to the short time frame I had on my late arrival. My second day seemed to be going as the first, sitting watching my Anchovy rigged to spin watching the peacefulness of all my surroundings along with no fish or fisherman. The Morning was as peaceful as one could imagine and much, much better then sitting at home trying to keep myself occupied with this Virus looming over head.
That second evening getting ready to pull my gear for the Night I turned away to get my bed roll out and heard my reel clicker going nuts to turn around and see my rod tip buried. Fish ON, as the excitement always takes us fisherman to another world. Running to the front of the boat braking lose from my anchor and drifting with now seeing a very nice Spring Chinook roll Down river below me the fight was on. I'd say about 15 -20 minutes later I had a very, very nice Spring Chinook in my net and figured at the time that my planned week was taken care of.
My third day on the river was as exciting as the second but much earlier things came together landing two more Springer's with an old timer friend of mine whom climbed in the Boat early that Morning and at around 10:30 we had a Double and so very lucky to have landed both fish with Bud my partner at 93 years young and having to sit while fighting one of those two fish was a Chinese Fire Drill to say the least.
with now 3 fish on Ice we were two happy fisherman as these fish are not only hard to come by with the low clear water conditions but the run has been down the last few years making it that much more difficult.
These Chinooks are by far the best table fare of the Salmon Family.
With there early entering the River systems and the miles needed in there travels the fat content makes them the best eating in my opinion, as is said by most Salmon Fisherman.
The fourth and Fifth days on the river ended with the three Chinooks on Ice and a great, Great week of fishing.
I keep telling myself on the days that I ponder whether or whether not I should load and just go, even with all the poor or bad conditions. But! is it not true that if were not on the water fishing that the chances of catching a Fish s not going to happen. In other words your not going to catch anything sitting at home pondering whether or whether not I should go.
If were not in a Duck Blind or a high Vantage point looking for a great buck or Bugling Elk. or sitting on a water hole waiting for a nice Antelope Buck to wonder in then a good Day or two or longer gives all something we all enjoy and much better then sitting around the Home wondering what this Virus is bringing next.
Its a Single Sport, a Family sport or just yourself and good friend sport, most of all it gets us out in this wonderful outdoors enjoying all that this country has to give.
So My Friends Stay safe, have a wonderful day ahead.. sculler72

That sounds like a good time got me wishing I could do a trip like that

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back