Spring Break

cjcj

Universities: Spring breaks south of border to be avoided

by Amanda Lee Myers - Feb. 23, 2009 12:00 AM
Associated Press

Going to Mexico for spring break is practically a rite of passage for college students in Arizona, but the state's three public universities want to warn young revelers about stepped-up violence south of the border.

The University of Arizona in Tucson has issued a travel advisory urging students not to go to Mexico, and officials at Arizona State University in Tempe and Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff said they have similar plans to warn students. The schools' spring breaks fall on the second or third weeks of March.
In its notice to students, UA cited a travel alert issued by the U.S. Department of State in October warning travelers that crime rates have increased sharply in Tijuana, Juarez and Nogales - all Mexican cities that have experienced public shootouts during the daytime in shopping centers and other public places. The department warned that criminals have followed and harassed Americans driving in border areas.

Universities that warn students of violence in Mexico are providing "sage advice," said Special Agent Tom Mangan, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"We have had documented violence, attacks, killings, shootouts with the drug cartels involving not only the military but law-enforcement personnel," he said. "It is indiscriminate violence, and certainly innocent people have been caught up in that collateral damage."

Mexico's drug cartels are waging a bloody fight for smuggling routes and against government forces, dumping beheaded bodies onto streets, carrying out massacres and even tossing grenades into a crowd of Independence Day revelers - an attack that killed eight people in September.

Mangan said most of the violence is taking place in border towns and along roads at night, not at most popular tourist destinations.

More than 100,000 American teens and people in their early 20s travel to resort areas throughout Mexico during spring break every year, according to the State Department.

Becca Hull, a senior at UA, said she and her friends are going to Las Vegas for spring break because of the weather and good deals they found.

She said they thought about going to Mexico but didn't want to spend the money on plane tickets or risk taking their cars there - not because they were worried about violence.

"When I think of Mexico I don't really think of the violence issue because usually when you're in a resort area or one of the hotels it's all tourists," said Hull, 22. "In my mind it never would have been a factor."

Violence also isn't a factor for UA sophomore Daniel Wallace.
He is driving with seven friends and his father four hours from Tucson to the resort town of Puerto Peñasco, also known as Rocky Point, and will spend his entire spring break there.

I heard it was bad there. Prior to my deployment in 2007 and when we got back in October, we spent a week to 10 days in San Diego. No military personnel were allowed to cross the border at any time for any reason while we were there. The command we were assigned to threatened disciplinary action if anyone tried. When questioned about it, the command said they had significant incidents in the past year.

We usually go to La Paz for a fishing trip in May, around Memroial Day weekend. I haven't heard of much happening there, but what would you do? Cancel or still go? We were planning to take our wives and 10-year old sons with us.

Don't people ski on spring break?
Poor_Mike.jpg

Greenie.. What's up with your partner in those pics? He looks a bit overwhelmed by all of it. specially in the candy is dandy shot. Dude needs to get more rest. hump;)

When I get on the plane next Sunday, something other than Mexico will be on my mind................................

Attachments

• P1000599.jpg
    P1000599.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 311
  • P1000601.jpg
    P1000601.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 307
+1 on snowboarding. But as I get older I find it annoying buckling and unbuckling in all freaking day

The 1st day snowboarding can be rough. I've seen a guy throw-up on the hill after catching his frontside edge for the 75th time. He had to call in sick to work the next day cause he couldn't get out of bed.

BUT the learning curve is WAY better/steeper from what I have seen. And there is absolutely NO comparison on a powder day.

Come on AZ..............it was my uncle Rico badge pic. And no one is more hetero than Uncle Rico.

Don't you ever wish you could go back in time? I'd take state.

I would cancel a Mexico trip, why risk it? Go fishing somewhere else.

Posted signs say a policeman would be killed every 48 hours unless Roberto Orduña Cruz resigned.

By Ken Ellingwood

February 21, 2009

Reporting from Mexico City -- The police chief in violence-torn Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, quit Friday after several officers were slain this week and the killers posted threats that more would die unless he resigned.

Roberto Orduña Cruz, the city's public safety secretary, said he didn't want to risk more lives. An officer and a jail guard were shot to death earlier Friday, two days after handwritten signs were posted saying a policeman would be killed every 48 hours unless Orduña resigned.

Gunmen kill 12 people in Tabasco Full coverage of Mexico's drug war"Respect for the life that these brave officers risk every day on the streets for Juarez residents obliges me to offer my permanent resignation," Orduña said.

The departure is the latest blow to law and order in the border city, which has become the deadliest corner in Mexico. Killings have soared in the last year because of a turf war between drug-trafficking groups and because of the Mexican government's crackdown on smugglers.

More than 1,350 people died in Juarez last year in violence that included numerous beheadings and the killings of more than 60 police officers.

Drug gangs have shown no sign of backing down in the face of a government offensive that has sent 3,000 soldiers into the streets of Juarez. Unofficial tallies by the news media put the death toll so far this year at more than 300 in Chihuahua state, where Juarez is located.

On Wednesday, half a dozen of the handwritten signs were posted in Juarez.

A day earlier, the city's second-ranking police officer, operations chief Sacramento Perez, was fatally shot, along with three other agents, near the U.S. Consulate in Juarez.

Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz had said he would not back down in the face of threats.

But Friday afternoon, Reyes and Orduña appeared at a news conference to announce the chief's resignation.

Orduña, a retired army major, took the job in May after his predecessor, Guillermo Prieto Quintana, quit and fled to Texas after his second in command was gunned down.

Orduña seldom ventured from the police station and even slept there -- one sign of how little control authorities have over Juarez's streets.

He presided over a department rife with corruption. Reyes dumped more than 300 suspect officers in October. Statistics indicated that there were fewer bank robberies after they were fired.

Reyes said Friday that Orduña's resignation was not a surrender to organized crime. "It's understandable that the major's first concern was his officers," he said.

A replacement has not been named.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back