Spring Break Hunting Trip?

PawPawWPG

I’m a high school principal in Michigan, and my spring break is the first week of April. I’m heading out to Sacramento to apprentice judge a NAVHDA weekend for the first few days, but my wife suggested seeing if there’s anywhere I could go on a hunting trip after judging (April 3-7).

Any ideas? I see that Idaho has a spring bear season open…

Turkey season should be open in some of the southern states. If you’ve never turkey hunted, you are missing out.

That maybe a little early for ID there are a few units that will be open but with the snow this year not sure how many will be up and moving.

If it were me, I would hit NE for a turkey hunt.

With the snow here in the Dakota’s that might be pushing it as well. Will depend on how the thaw goes. But they are calling for more snow this week. On top of that we aren’t really going to get good thawing weather until around the middle of March. There may be some early flocks on the southern end of the state.

With the snow here in the Dakota’s that might be pushing it as well. Will depend on how the thaw goes. But they are calling for more snow this week. On top of that we aren’t really going to get good thawing weather until around the middle of March. There may be some early flocks on the southern end of the state.
Well I should've said snow geese wherever they may be.

I’m a high school principal in Michigan, and my spring break is the first week of April. I’m heading out to Sacramento to apprentice judge a NAVHDA weekend for the first few days, but my wife suggested seeing if there’s anywhere I could go on a hunting trip after judging (April 3-7).

Are you coming to Montana at all this summer to apprentice? I can't remember if you need to do one or two out of area? Since it's California is the senior judge Ruth? She's awesome.

Idaho bear opens April 15

Montana spring bear opens April 15th but we got hit hard with the last storm. In the southern Swans & Missions we got 3 to 5 feet. This next 2 week period says precipitation above average. So I think spring will be a little later this year.

Are you coming to Montana at all this summer to apprentice? I can't remember if you need to do one or two out of area? Since it's California is the senior judge Ruth? She's awesome.
I’m not sure about Montana yet. I’d like to make it to the test in Sundance - I’ve done some AKC tests there and it’s a great location.

She’s on the team! I’ve never met her but I’ve heard great things.

Since you'll already be there, research some hog hunting in Central CA. Or drive out to the coast and do some fishing for rockfish and lingcod.

California Turkey Season

1677514936554.png

Guided pig hunting trips at Tejon Ranch

With Hog Dogs in Sonoma County : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057082014913

And you can't forget Salmon Fishing...

I like that idea from @LuketheDog along with my idea. Do a pig turkey combo, then head out to the coast for some fishing for a few days. Cast, blast, and then take your wife to some wine tastings (if shes there and that her type of thing). Could all be done in 3-4 days easy and without much hassle.

Besides the massive amounts of people and traffic, we have a few things going for us lol. My buddy’s just got done with a pig hunt last week. 3 pigs in 2 days, last pig was a trophy boar so took a day to find a good one. Can get the contact info for the outfitter if you want. It was 2 hours outside Sacramento. Same friends also do fishing charters but they leave out of the bay towards the farallon islands on party boats. Id go further North personally but dont know anyone to recommend up that way. I just kayak fish the ocean in Mendocino county. Rockfish and Lingcod are fun to catch and delicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back