Spring Bear 2023

BackofBeyond

To early?

The first bear has been spotted in Yellowstone, so it’s about time for the annual Spring Bear thread.

Who’s ready for it? My plans are hunt an area close to home for late April, and try for turkey at the same time. May will put me in prime time for my unit, and then might make a weekend trip up north in June to a 2 tag unit.

Im getting excited for spring bear! I didn't have a chance to get out last year due to work, but I'll be putting in some time this year with my bow.

Opener here is April 15th, but I usually fill my turkey tags before going full on bear mode.

To early?

The first bear has been spotted in Yellowstone, so it’s about time for the annual Spring Bear thread.

Who’s ready for it? My plans are hunt an area close to home for late April, and try for turkey at the same time. May will put me in prime time for my unit, and then might make a weekend trip up north in June to a 2 tag unit.
To early yes, but ya thinking about it regulary...lol. big change this spring for me somewhat due to last years fires and this winters effects. Not going to my usual idaho baiting area as i know it will be a deadfall mess and covered in snow well into june. Going to focus on my idaho elk unit closer to house and chase some bears i see every year in fall while hunting but mainly just learning new areas. Locally i carry a rifle all spring but will only shot a BIG bear and will focus on sheds. Dont really need /want to shot another bear so its secondary mission but love the excuse to get out. Fuel prices are starting to factor, expenses are getting stupid!

I’m hoping to get out some. Was planning to run a bait but the snow won’t stop and I’m guessing the place I wanted to bait will be inaccessible well into season. I’m already planning a few evening hikes and glassing locations. Hoping recent atv closures might make a few areas really good

I think I may try for another bear this year. I'd like to make a hair on vest. :cool:

Got a spring bear tag here in NM. Be chasing them with hounds instead of spot and stalk. But we'll see how it goes. Not real interested in killing one unless it's a big boar

I try every spring.
It always turns out the first 3 weeks there is too much snow to get up to where the bears hang out.
The last week is when the majority of the bears are taken.

Every year I hit it hard for bears culminating with bear camp with friends in late May. I’ve shot three bears on my life- all of the chocolate phase. I’d like to get a jet black one this year finally.

To early?

I've been ready and excited since January lol. There's been a few G bears out around MT and have heard a few reports of blackies around Missoula and Kalispell area. I'm sure the storm this week sent them back into hiding but it's supposed to warm up a lot after the weekend. It's always rough waiting this last 30 days or so at least this year I can hunt turkeys a little earlier to help take the edge off.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back