Spring bear 2023 - MT or ID??

I'd read about a rough winter that supposedly took out a good portion of the boars in that time frame. Maybe it wasn't quite what it was chalked up to be.
I’d take this with a 10lb bag of salt.

OP - There’s obviously been jesting about trying to send ya to the other state. But I wasn’t joking about food scarcity this past fall.

I’d holler at a biologist if MT is under consideration. The bears around my area were some skinny little things pretty far into autumn. It was kinda bleak seeing them at spring weight in October. Not sure how extensive that was throughout the state or what effect a bad fall will have on them come spring.
Thanks for the info, definitely helpful in weighing the options. I'll be reaching out to a biologist in both states to pick their brains a bit.

Good luck, wherever you go. Going to try spring bear for the first time here in ID where I live. Likely the southern part of the state bordering MT and WY.

Tell ya what, if either of you come to SWMT to hunt bear shoot me a message and I might know a couple spots.. access may be rough but not unattainable. Memorial weekend is busy but that whole last week-it’s a real good time to shoot a bear.

I treat spring bear hunting as an early scouting trip for places where I want to deer and elk hunt, so I base my decision off that. I’m heading to Idaho this year.

For packing out a bear you cant beat idaho, if you can even find one it will not be very big. Makes them real easy to carrry up those extreme ridges in remote country that you have to hike into to avoid bait and hound guys. Thats why i like it, i like the remoteness of no cell reception or ability to call for help mixed with maybe weeks between bear sightings makes it a fun long challenge. When you compare it to packing those monster bears down to the well-maintained roads in montana it isnt fun, it can be sometimes 100s of yards from truck what fun is that! No piece of mind in MT, cell never looses reception and it only takes 1 day to find a big boar. Montana bear hunting is just to easy to be a challenge for any real hunter...

What do you mean “pack a bear to the road” in MT? As I understand it, even if you shoot a bear in Montana off the road system, they always run to the nearest road and keel over there.

Am I wrong about that?

What do you mean “pack a bear to the road” in MT? As I understand it, even if you shoot a bear in Montana off the road system, they always run to the nearest road and keel over there.

Am I wrong about that?
I think in my example he was scared by all the sounds the swimsuit models camping next to road were making.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back