Spring bear 2023 - MT or ID??

DownHill

For anyone who's willing, I'm in need of a little advice before I finalize my spring black bear plans for this year. This will be my first time chasing bears and spot & stalk is the game plan, now on to the location. I was initially set on Idaho but after learning about some pretty heavy die-offs around '17/'18 and reviewing recent harvest reports, I'm reconsidering Montana as an option. I'm not worried about breaking any records, I'm just looking for a fair chance at a new rug and a full freezer.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

We had a poor to nonexistent berry crop in Western MT this year. As a result we had a bunch of scrawny, sad looking bears coming out of the mountains to rummage for whatever they could find down low much earlier than normal. Not sure what kind of shape that’ll have em in this Spring.

OP - There’s obviously been jesting about trying to send ya to the other state. But I wasn’t joking about food scarcity this past fall.

I’d holler at a biologist if MT is under consideration. The bears around my area were some skinny little things pretty far into autumn. It was kinda bleak seeing them at spring weight in October. Not sure how extensive that was throughout the state or what effect a bad fall will have on them come spring.

Would you consider western wyoming? I am thinking about Idaho also but like how some things are done in wyoming. Watch this series and tell me what you think.

I am looking for a partner to go hunting put some baits out do some spot and stalk and if don't get one sit the baits.

Here are a few pics from NJ this year that really got my bear bug going even more.Third pic is bait pile after 1.5 days. Totally gone scat everywhere and they dug the ground up where had oil and blueberry attractant scent.
20221215_121401.jpg20221215_120825.jpg

Attachments

• 20221215_114008.jpg
    20221215_114008.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
I'd definitely call a biologist in both places and see what they say. But I spent 3 months in Idaho (near Boise) and heard nothing but that there were a lot of bears around from local bear hunters. Several friends even mentioned that fall their neighbors had offered them bear meat and such from their hunts. Anecdotal, but Idaho didn't seem to be hurting for bears.

I’ve not heard of any bear die offs in Idaho. Both states have a lot of bears. Flip a coin maybe? Or just decide on a spot in either state you really want to explore and go for it
I'd read about a rough winter that supposedly took out a good portion of the boars in that time frame. Maybe it wasn't quite what it was chalked up to be.

Not with all the dog hunters and guys who run baits for months. Bait bears make terrible rugs, all that sticky stuff on their hide. Montana has most and prettiest spot and stalk bears.
That was also a concern of mine with ID. The harvest reports I'm reading show far more bears killed over bait than on foot. Is that simply because more people prefer to run bait or is it more of a necessity to really find them?

My guess is the former, but I also live in TX and a good chunk of hunters wouldn't notch a tag without the help of a feeder bringing the deer out of the brush.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back