Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Spotting scope vs bino's

• Thread starter MN Public Hunter
  • Start date
M

MN Public Hunter

I'm working on planning a hunt to WY for pronghorn, first one ever, and wonder if I really need a spotting scope. A few questions come to mind.

1. What will a spotting scope do that a 10x50 bino will not?

2. Is there a good site to explain the difference in spotting scopes, like what all those numbers mean for magnification?

3. Will a good rifle scope, 3x9 I guess, be enough?

4. 65 vs 80? What is the difference? How much further will an 80 reach out vs the 65?

Oh the questions......

Anyone got some advice for me?

P.S. spending limit as well...I don't have Swaro money. Lets say $450.

In my (humble) opinion, spotting scopes for hunting are largely for people who are serious about only taking a trophy of a certain size. Certainly useful for Antelope hunting, but not necessary unless you are intent on taking a “book” speed goat, and know how to field judge one.

That being said, spotter are lots of fun for all around use, nature watching, photography, spying on your neighbors, shooting range, astronomy.

At $450, you would be just scratching the bottom of end of decent quality spotters.
Look at Vortex or Nikon in that price range. You might find a used Minox or B&L.

There are lots of optics junkies and antelope freaks on this site, I’m sure some of them will jump in. Once you get serious about buying, call Doug or Joal at Camera Land, NY for solid advice and great prices.

I'd say definitely pull the trigger on a spotter -- reason being that regardless of animal size you're looking for, they really do help locate animals that you otherwise might not see or have a really difficult time seeing with just binos. I was kicking myself for not having a spotter during archery elk in CO last year because in the shadows, high on a ledge, I was having trouble picking out the bulls among the cows with only my binos. Now, once you've found the animal, you can plan to stalk -- there again, the spotter may give an advantage for being able to zoom in close and check out an approach path, etc. to the animals.

I agree that even a compact 25-40 power spotter is a key in open land hunting. Even with only a 3-9 for taking shots and 10x binos for scanning, it's priceless to be able to look into pockets or clusters of vegetation with a spotter. I picked up a pretty decent one for around 250 on sale I think a few years back it's only about a foot long and with its tripod attached it still fits fine in a small pack with my other gear. And I've learned my lesson more than once when I didn't have it, so I always carry it nowadays. Sometimes that extra boost of power really helps. Just my $.02

I have hunterd all the Western States and the majority of your time is used looking thru Binocluars. Spend your money on a good set of 10X50, Nikon, Leupold, etc. Get a good set of Butler Creek straps to carry them to take the stress off you neck. If you don't have the money to spend on a good spotting scope dont buy one over 18X36 power. Any cheap spotting scope (Under$500) over 36 power, you want be able to hold it steady enough to focus. The only time you will ever need a spotting scope is if you are hunting for a record. If you want a record book goat it is very difficult to field judge a goat at any distance, even for a guide. Go to Boone & Crocket and see what it takes to make the record book. It is not uncommon to shoot over 200 yards at speed goats. Judging distance is the hardest thing a hunter has to do when shooting in open country. Get yourself a good set of shooting sticks. I prefer the tripod type. The last one I shot was at 475 yards. Most hunters can't hold steady enouth to shoot over 200 yards. Practice, Practice, Practice. Start shooting at 25 yards at pennies then move out until you can hit a penny at 200 yards. If you can't, take a lot of ammo and reloading equipment. Any goat is trophy, so have a good time. Good Luck.

ogro gave you some pretty solid advice. If you are thinking about buying a cheaper pair of binoculars and a cheaper spotter combine your money and get a good pair of binoculars. I personally use meopta binoculars and love them. The cabelas euros are made by meopta too.
What do you have for a setup right now. Rifle, scope, binoculars, rangefinder etc. The guys on this site im sure will give you advice if they know what you are looking for and what your goal is in a trophy antelope. (Its not always inches that make an animal a trophy.) Ask away

Thanks for all the feedback and idea's. I was out at Gander today playing with some of the binos and spotters. They don't have much for spotters, but it was fun anyway. Still not sure what I will do, but keep the idea's coming. The Trekker might be an idea to keep it on the cheap...I might have to make a stop up there next week. Have you used on of those scopes Elk_hunter? What would you say is the maximum effective distance you would use an 18x36 and it still being useful?

A spotter is something that is a tough buy because not only do you need to spend at least what you want as your minimum, you need to decide if you will ever try and pack it on a trip and that is the biggest factor of 60mm or the larger sizes. Quality in a spotter is noticed when you start to use the upper end of the zoom level. Cheapo units that go over 45X sometimes should have only been a 45X or less because the view gets so cloudy.
If you go with a cheaper unit, find a cheaper one with ED glass. One thing to maybe consider since your on a very tight budget as spotters are concerned is the "no-name" brands. Yea, As much as we dislike China, the quality they are starting to put out is really getting there these days, and I know for a fact a lot of the big brand names have the lower to mid range glass made there now.
Type in "spotting scope reviews" in a Google search and see what comes up, or something like "best spotter for under $500" and do some searching. I recently did a lot of research looking for a second spotter to cover the 60X zoom level for me just for lope hunting and found some good reviews from some optic snobs who went to the shot show and mentioned a few brands. I believe one was Celestron with ED glass was said to be the best buy for under $500 buy a guy who owns an optic retail shop. I looked through a ton of spotters at the shot show myself but found it hard to really get a feel indoors with them.

Last edited:
I'm working on planning a hunt to WY for pronghorn, first one ever, and wonder if I really need a spotting scope. A few questions come to mind.

1. What will a spotting scope do that a 10x50 bino will not?

2. Is there a good site to explain the difference in spotting scopes, like what all those numbers mean for magnification?

3. Will a good rifle scope, 3x9 I guess, be enough?

4. 65 vs 80? What is the difference? How much further will an 80 reach out vs the 65?

Oh the questions......

Anyone got some advice for me?

P.S. spending limit as well...I don't have Swaro money. Lets say $450.

ok so here is my take on this
Spotting scope is nice I kept mine in my pack and used quite a bit on the prarie. I used My 10x42 binos tons like every couple of minutes the numbers like 15-45 that is you maginification the last number lik 65 is the lens opening at the end of the scope the 80 lets more light in then the 65 but also heavier. no difference in reach. I have a leaupold sequoia that I love it is realativley light weight and works great. Is it nec to kill an antelope no it isnt however if you are looking for one in a 1000 trophy antelope they are nice. As for the rifle scope I used a 3-9 and it works just fine for me out to 300 yds or so however I just upgraded to a brand new 5-20 nikon monarch for a new long range project and i love t and will never look back.

Good luck my friend hope this helps

I guess I did neglect your original question. If your looking to "judge" trophy size lopes, a spotter is a must have.

The Nikon ED 50 has been getting great reviews and can be found for just a shade more than your listed $450. Unless you're very serious about trophy quality, IMO binos are all that's needed for pronghorn. I use 8X42 binos and have not trouble telling bucks for does and bigger bucks from smaller at well over 500yds. No, I can't estimate score with them at that distance, but I don't know enough about field judging pronghorn to do that anyway even with a good spotter.

A 3X9 scope will be more than enough. Only one of the nine pronghorn's I've shot have been farther than 200yds away and none were shot with the scope set higher than 6X. I'm actually really considering going to a fixed 6X scope on my big game rifles.

Last edited:
I agree with 1 Pointer. As a first time antelope hunter you will struggle to judge them. Go with the bino's as suggested in the previous threads and you wont regret it. "Big looks big", even at a distance.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back