Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Viper vs razor spotting scope

I'm in the market for a vortex spotting scope. So far I have only been able to find one review that compared the viper 85mm vs the razor 85mm. The consensus was that there wasn't much difference for $700. But I like to make my decision with more than 1 review. Does anyone have experience with both and could help me out? Is there much of a difference in the newest models? Now I would love to just look at then myself but I live in nortbwesternIL where I cant find a store that sells anything but Diamondbacks. I really only want a vortex. I know that there are better brands. I will be western hunting for muley, pronghorn, elk, bear, and hopefully moose. I will also be looking at antler size. Thanks for the input!

If you only want a Vortex I would go for the Razor. I’ve used a 65 Viper quite a bit and I didn’t like it at all. My buddy’s Razor was better.

I’ve had my razor 85 mm HD for about 6 years and love it
good clear glass and dummy proof warranty.
if any negative seems a little heavy.

I’ve had both and the razor is for sure better glass. Noticeably clearer.

I have the razor 85 that is straight not angled. If I had to do it again I would go angled.

If you only want a Vortex I would go for the Razor. I’ve used a 65 Viper quite a bit and I didn’t like it at all. My buddy’s Razor was better.
Thanks for the input. I think I will just go with the Razor.
I’ve had my razor 85 mm HD for about 6 years and love it
good clear glass and dummy proof warranty.
if any negative seems a little heavy.
Thank you. Would you drop down to the 65mm if you could do it over?
I’ve had both and the razor is for sure better glass. Noticeably clearer.
Sweet! Razor it is then!
I have the razor 85 that is straight not angled. If I had to do it again I would go angled.
I was thinking the angled also. It seems like looking up a mountain would require a very tall tripod with a straight. Thanks!

I'm in the market for a vortex spotting scope. So far I have only been able to find one review that compared the viper 85mm vs the razor 85mm. The consensus was that there wasn't much difference for $700. But I like to make my decision with more than 1 review. Does anyone have experience with both and could help me out? Is there much of a difference in the newest models? Now I would love to just look at then myself but I live in nortbwesternIL where I cant find a store that sells anything but Diamondbacks. I really only want a vortex. I know that there are better brands. I will be western hunting for muley, pronghorn, elk, bear, and hopefully moose. I will also be looking at antler size. Thanks for the input!
I think there's still a Cabelas in Prairie du Chien. If that's not too far.

I actually looked them up, and the one in chicago, gurnee, and madison. they are all out of stock for some reason. Vortex is actually only a hour away from me so maybe I can just go there to try them out.

Thanks for the input. I think I will just go with the Razor.

Thank you. Would you drop down to the 65mm if you could do it over?

Sweet! Razor it is then!

I was thinking the angled also. It seems like looking up a mountain would require a very tall tripod with a straight. Thanks!
no I would recommend the 85 mine is the angled model

I would also be remiss if I didn’t mention that for the price of the Razor there’s a few other options I would look at before vortex.
I understand. If I wasn't getting 50% off then I would probably entertain the all the other options.
I called prairie du chien today. Even though they dont have any in stock, they have displays! Thanks for the hot tip! Heading there tomorrow morning.

I actually looked them up, and the one in chicago, gurnee, and madison. they are all out of stock for some reason. Vortex is actually only a hour away from me so maybe I can just go there to try them out.
That sounds like a great plan. Makes warranty service easy too.
Vortex has been good to me. I'm sticking with them. But thanks for the .02.
I agree! Rifle scope had issues. Brand new one in the box delivered. Bino eye piece had a scratch and couldn't be removed. Brand new pair in the box.

I had a Razor 20-60x85mm. After the 3rd time I had to send it back for repair it got sold. Focus knob fell off twice. Prism broke once, rattling around inside the body ruining everything else in there.

Before I sold it I had it next to my new Zeiss 85mm and it’s wasn’t even close. I could count points on a bull at 4 miles with the Zeiss. I could barely tell it had antlers with the Razor.

If the Razor was that bad I can’t imagine how bad the Viper would be.

Vortex has a great warranty for a reason...you will need it!

You guys find me a better spotting scope for $900 and I will happily buy it. It's what I can afford and like thousands of other people, they have not given me any problems. I'm literally upgrading from a 15-45x50 bushnell for my 1 to 2 trips out west I will be taking per year.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back