Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Vortex Razor 65HD 22-48 vs Swarovski 65HD 25-50

GBrokx

I want a 65 HD spotting scope for its versatility in weight and ability to reach out a decent distance. I originally was looking at the Vortex Razor HD 22-28, but after reading threads a lot of people suggest Swarovski is one of the better scopes. They have two models in 65HD including their wide 25-50 and their 20-60, however both are priced at least $1,000 dollars more than the Vortex Razor. What makes Swarovksi worth so much more? Am I really going to notice a significant difference between the two?

I had a razor 80mm until it got stolen out of my SxS, upgraded to a Kowa 88. To my eyes the razor isnt in same ballpark as the Kowa or Swaro and its not even remotely close! I chose the kowa over the swaro for a couple reasons but they were both WAY above everything i looked at. Good luck

I have no use for a 65, but if I did, I would get the Swaro. With a little patience you can find that 65 for 15-1700.

I have no use for a 65, but if I did, I would get the Swaro. With a little patience you can find that 65 for 15-1700.
From what I understand, an 85mm is going to give an extra 10 minutes of light in the early morning and evening. Is that the only benefit to going with a wide objective?

I had a 65mm Razor HD, and Zeiss Conquest 10x42s. They were fine. But, I sold both of them last year to buy some NL Pures and am now saving for a Kowa 883. I think if you spend enough time behind second-rate glass, you’ll find yourself wanting better. I did, anyway. Could have saved some money by just being a little more patient, saving more in the first place, and getting what I really wanted, rather than what I’d settle for.

I normally use Swarovski. To my eyes the Swarovski products work the best, and they deservedly demand a relatively high price. Meopta is pretty darn close for a good bit less money. I have used the Vortex scope and thought that it was OK, but the Meopta was clearly better to my eyes in that price range.

From what I understand, an 85mm is going to give an extra 10 minutes of light in the early morning and evening. Is that the only benefit to going with a wide objective?
For me, 80 gives me full use of all the x’s. I use an 80 sts for everything, it’s the balance I need between weight, view quality, and horsepower. With a 65 the top end of magnification was not very useable.

Some 80ish obj spotters aren’t much heavier than 65’s, it just depends. The size is more of a hassle to me than the weight, despite spending a lot of time hiking.

Also, where would I be able to find a Swaro 65 for 15-1700? Any websites in particular?

Going from an 80 or greater to a 65, you will find yourself asking Where did everything go?? Much smaller view

If weight is a big concern, take a hard look at that Kowa 773 as well as Swaro. Vortex’s warranty is highly credited because it’s frequently used.

Look at Rokslide optics classified for junkies that convert their paychecks into gear churn. Appears Schaaf is tuned into the resale market, ha

Euro optic often has 15-20% off demo goods

C8B3A663-1062-490C-82B0-7E08666CF30A.jpeg

Last edited:
See what your eyes like. Go down to the spotting scope store. Go outside and look through several brands at varying distances. Do it several times in different light conditions if you can.

Also, where would I be able to find a Swaro 65 for 15-1700? Any websites in particular?
I found mine on Craigslist. One owner 65. I paid in the 15-1700 range. I just watched until one was for sale.

I use my 15s much more than the spotter for glassing.

Vortex is not running a charity. If the could change more they would. If you want versatility get the ATX…

Back