Spotting Scope Decision

wrightnation

I was hoping for some advice on spotting scopes. I've been eyeing the Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 and the Razor HD 11-33x50 spotting scopes. I do a lot of back country hunting and like the idea of the weight and size of the Razor but am concerned about the viewing distance trade off. Any input would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

I highly recommend the Theron Saker from Predator optics.
Schmalts (Pat) the owner can hook you up

Do yourself a favor and look at Kowa. Vortex is the flashy new kid in town, but do some research. Marketing ain't all there is to it. mtmuley

Do yourself a favor and look at Kowa. Vortex is the flashy new kid in town, but do some research. Marketing ain't all there is to it. mtmuley

mtmuley, I'm not too familiar with Kowa, but I've heard good things about them. However, I'm curious if there are any specifics about Vortex that give you pause. I'm not looking to start a debate or anything, but I'm just curious, as I'm also in the market for a spotting scope.

Thanks for the input. I looked up the Theron Saker which has peaked my interest. I've been looking at HD scopes but don't know what ED is (regarding spotting scopes), can someone break it down for me? Also, my price range is $500-800.

I've got the Viper HD you're looking at. It's a lot of scope, especially when it's on your back.

In that price range, I'd look hard for a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40X60. Might have to go used.

Nikon ED 50 in that price range. Very light, good optics. I really like mine. No experience with the others.

HD

Another consideration could be the Minox MD50. I purchased it last year for back country hunting and have been pleased. Small and light with good optics. Also a bit less expensive. Just a thought.

I've been looking at HD scopes but don't know what ED is (regarding spotting scopes), can someone break it down for me?

HD is a marketing term that can mean anything the manufacturer wants it to, and can even be meaningless. ED means the optic contains extra-low dispersion glass, which controls chromatic aberration (color fringing).

Hi Dolla;)

...have an older Kowa (from way back when Fin wasn't a celebrity)....works great.

Nikon ED 50 with the 13x40 power eyepiece is the bomb........

I have the 16x wide angle eyepiece for it was well...also really cool for light and eye relief.

I'll put it up against that Vortex any day. The Nikon warranty is just as good as the Vortex as I had to use it and got a new one back after I fell and broke mine once. It was a nasty fall and I wouldn't expect many other things to survive that escapade.

I think that Vortex has done a fabulous job with marketing.

I have put a Nikon Fieldscope ED 60mm up against the Vortex 85mm HD at low light and it was not even close in favor of the Nikon and I bet the 50mm's would be the same..........

The Vortex stuff feels cheap. Stamped PRC. The Leupold mentioned is awesome. After hours and hours of research and contact with owners, the 66 mm Kowa fits what I need at a price that isn't bad. I have not purchased one yet, but I can't for the lfe of me find a better optic for the price. I don't know what I am waiting for. (cept to convince the wife.) mtmuley

Ive got a Nikon e d -50 and love it,,,only weighs a pound,excelent range and clarity,,$750 price range,,strait unit is compact.lots of +++++,,I recommend it.

I own a Nikon ,mostly use it at the range.Works great for me and the cost is under$500.

I have a Alpen 735 now and it's a great, light scope. I use it mostly at the range. Light weight tripod and it's nothing much in the pack.
I had a Leupold but had eye strain problems with long use.
Each persons eyes are different.

The Kowa might be my scope upgrade,but maybe better upgrade binos than my great Alpen 10x50's would be a better excuse for some new gear.......

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back