Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Spotter and bino

ChrisC

I'm slowly accumulating gear and have turned my attention to optics. I'm looking at the Vortex Razor 11-33x50 spotter and Vortex Viper HD 10x42 binos. Most future hunts will be backpacking, so I want a light spotter. Getting demo units, these will total $1100. I want to know if this is the best all around choice, or if there are better options that will total a similar amount of money.

Thanks,
Chris

Just be sure that you want a 50mm size spotter as your only spotting scope. I'm not sure what kind of hunts you do but unless it's mainly backpack hunts I'd look at 60MM

I would recommend at least a 40x spotter with a 60mm lenses or else you won't be gaining a whole lot of capability compared to your binoculars.

Binos are for finding animals. Spotter tells you what size the animals are.

Looking at a similar price point, I see the Vortex Viper HD, Leupold SX-1 Ventana, and Nikon Prostaff. Is the increased diameter worth compromising glass, which I assume is the case with these other options?

Hey Chris,
I used to have the Razor 11-33 and loved it. I used it for bow hunting mule deer in open badlands/breaks country and I was very happy with it. It was light and easy to pack. It's didn't gather as much light as an 85mm scope but it also weighed 1/4 as much. I've also found that on most scopes I don't go higher that 20-30 power anyway. Just my .02

Also if your interested, I have a pair of Vortex Viper 12x50 that I'm selling. They are literally like new (used on one hunt). PM me if you're interested.

Was going to put up a new post, but I think Chris and I are really looking for the same thing. Looking for my first spotter and possibly a bino upgrade. Have looked at the Web until my eyes are crossed. Will be hunting out West every other year, just want a practical choice with weight vs. power balanced out with the most bang for the buck. I know there is a great deal of real world experience on this site, and a lot of people who are also on a budget. Not trying to hack your post Chris, just stoking the fire.
Thanks

If you're goal is to go lightweight then I think you are on the right path. I've been very happy with my Vortex Talon HDs in that power (save you some money) but I think you have too much overlap in magnification with the spotter you mention. Have you looked into the Leupold 12-40x60? It's another 22 oz but will do more of what you are possibly looking for in a scope.

Shoot, the more I think about it, just get a 12x pair of binos and a tripod. You should have a tripod for using the 10x anyway. Throw in a small pair of compact 8x if you think you need it for stalking.

A couple of things I would consider is scraping the 10x42's, go to either a 10x50 or 12x50 in the Vortex. Not much price change and more light = more clarity. If you know you will be glassing in timber, then a 8 or 10 power is more then enough. 10-12 power for distance.

For the spotters, weight savings comes with it's disadvantages also, wind.... It will start moving/shaking the lighter spotters vs one that is a big bigger/heavier. Pick your budget, get eyes behind the glass and decide.

I recently looked though some binos and I'm pretty sure I am set on the BX-3 Leuopld Pro Guide HD's. The feel/weight vs the cost was great!

Have considered a strong set of binos vs. the spotter as Nuevo is suggesting. Instead of 12x50, what do you think about 15x56?

Have considered a strong set of binos vs. the spotter as Nuevo is suggesting. Instead of 12x50, what do you think about 15x56?

They weight a ton and are a bitch to pack. Been there, done that. Great option on a tripod but not for back packing much. You want your binos always ready, not stuffed in your pack because they suck to have on your chest. 15x56 are for long periods of glassing to keep your eyes from getting spotting scope strain

Last edited:
I think if I were in the OPs position, I might consider buying better binos and save the spotter purchase for the future. You are going to use those binos waaayyyy more, and time behind your binos yields more game. Viper HDs are decent binos, but Zeiss Conquest HDs or Razor HDs are better, and will make it easier to spend more time behind the glass.

The other option might be to look at the Theron spotters ( I too would try and get at least a 65mm obj on the spotter) and spend more of the $1100 on binos.

I choose to spend all of my time behind the 15x56's if I know I'm going to be glassing a bunch to find something bedded or partially hidden. I agree they are a pain to pack but they are worth it if I know I'm sitting for over an hour to work the countryside. I never enjoyed doing that with a scope due to closed eye fatigue.

My typical approach is to get to a glassing spot and quickly cover the area with my 10xs by hand, and then bring out the tripod for detailed glassing. On the tripod I usually do one or two cautious passes with the 10x due to their wider FOV before going to the 15xs and working the edges of openings systematically over the next hour or so. Naked eye breaks every few minutes let me quickly scan for new arrivals in the area.

Glassing is my favorite part of hunting, right up there with breaking down an animal.

I used to use 15x60 doctor optics on a tripod. Sweet glass but I sold them and bought a spotter. They are popular with AZ couse deer hunters.

A bigger magnification spotter is brighter at the max power of the little one, i.e. a 50mm at 33x vs. a 65 at 33x, the bigger one is much more clear as well. I see absolutely zero advantage, other than a pound weight savings, to owning a smaller scope. IMO, I couldn't think of a more valuable pound of gear in my pack! I'd rather have a $200 Walmart rifle and scope than a small spotter.

Well, the Vortex Razor is a pretty good choice. Although I wouldn't call it one of the best, unlike its 20-60x85 sibling. But the latter is rather expensive, so the former is probably rather good, if only because it fits your criteria.

I have a 50mm spotter and it does a pretty good job. I love the weight for backpack hunts. There are times that I wish I had a 60mm. Very rarely do I have problems with the wind making it shake.

I've got the 50mm Razor and love that little thing. Not only is the weight awesome, it is so small that it fits in a pack really well and doesn't take up much space. For late season elk hunting it works just fine. If you're going to be doing a lot of long range glassing for deer, it might make sense to go to the 65mm. Like Bambistew said, it would be a very valuable one pound if you go to the 65.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back