Spot Sharing

I've shared info. Only with LE mule deer in a tough to draw unit though. Some of the guys are members here. All I asked is don't come back to elk hunt. Only one guy burned me. Makes me a Hell of a lot more cautious. The other guys were awesome. mtmuley The guy that burned me is not a HTer.
 
Last edited:
I dont even know anyone in Montana to share a spot with, my spots mostly arent that productive and Ive only met one hunter (from hunttalk) in eastern MT that I have tagged along on his archery hunts. I have had a landowner in eastern MT offer a ranch hunt and provided some great intel on post rut bulls, but that spot burned, literaaly a 30k crazy forest fire in a couple weeks.
 
I've shared info. Only with LE mule deer in a tough to draw unit though. Some of the guys are members here. All I asked is don't come back to elk hunt. Only one guy burned me. Makes me a Hell of a lot more cautious. The other guys were awesome. mtmuley The guy that burned me is not a HTer.
Pretty similar experience. When it takes forever to draw a tag it's not such a big deal. General or easy to draw tags good luck. Same with easy access bird hunting spots.
Trying to tell my teenager to stop taking his buddies to his honey hole fishing spot. He'll need to get burned to fully understand.
 
Pretty similar experience. When it takes forever to draw a tag it's not such a big deal. General or easy to draw tags good luck. Same with easy access bird hunting spots.
Trying to tell my teenager to stop taking his buddies to his honey hole fishing spot. He'll need to get burned to fully understand.
I have 22 deer points in Montana trying to draw the unit. I need to reevaluate. mtmuley
 
Kurt, you’re good at killing things- but I can’t say I know you’re a good hunter.

One thing is for certain, though. You were here on HuntTalk before me and your sorry ass will be on HuntTalk LOOOONG after me.

Nick87 you’re the poster child of a yes-man sheep ass, crawl under the table for anyone you think you agree with SOB. And drake, like I said before, you add less to this forum than even I do. 🤣 night ladies.
 
We all park at the same pull off. When asked where we got them, its way out, near the end of the trails.
 
Kurt, you’re good at killing things- but I can’t say I know you’re a good hunter.

One thing is for certain, though. You were here on HuntTalk before me and your sorry ass will be on HuntTalk LOOOONG after me.

Nick87 you’re the poster child of a yes-man sheep ass, crawl under the table for anyone you think you agree with SOB. And drake, like I said before, you add less to this forum than even I do. 🤣 night ladies.
For a guy who works construction you sure seem to have thin skin.
 
Most all of the places I have been going regularly for the last 30 or so years have been completely blown up, so I've just had to accept the reality that hunting in MT is just a footrace now. If I see something a few miles off I just assume I am not the only one trying to get to it.

If I'm sharing a spot its because I am with my hunting partner and expect we will return together again. If someone takes me to a place I don't go back alone without talking to them about it.

That said, I far prefer to discover places on my own, and don't ever ask people to give up their spots. I don't want to be feel beholden to anyone about land I am just as entitled to be on as them.

I am also in a weird situation now where my regular hunting partner has another friend who is real weird about some spots I have already been to and found long before I met my buddy. This other guy has taken my partner to those places and is so protective about it that my buddy won't go hunt there with me--lest he piss of this other person I don't know. I loathe the whole thing.

Non sequitur: @Rack Daniels some advice I've learned the hard way regarding getting into it with certain individuals on HT: "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it"
 
I've been burned on some things before, I keep a few general "OK" spots ready to go when trading info, but the "best" spots I don't give specifics on. The main one that comes to mind was big wild trout in MO when I lived there. Still don't really share info on it, and I haven't lived there in a decade.

And for big game? If I see somebody with something, or want advice, I don't ask "Where'd you get that?", but rather a "How the f*** do you find these damn things?" I don't want your honey hole, I want to be able to find my own. I don't have a honey hole- just random ass luck here and there. Usually I hear things like "why'd you go all the way in there? They're right by the road!" Experience has been they are not, in fact, right by the road.

Oh, and I'll take my duck hunting spots with me to the grave.
 
I've been burned on some things before, I keep a few general "OK" spots ready to go when trading info, but the "best" spots I don't give specifics on. The main one that comes to mind was big wild trout in MO when I lived there. Still don't really share info on it, and I haven't lived there in a decade.

And for big game? If I see somebody with something, or want advice, I don't ask "Where'd you get that?", but rather a "How the f*** do you find these damn things?" I don't want your honey hole, I want to be able to find my own. I don't have a honey hole- just random ass luck here and there. Usually I hear things like "why'd you go all the way in there? They're right by the road!" Experience has been they are not, in fact, right by the road.

Oh, and I'll take my duck hunting spots with me to the grave.
I’ve found it easier to just have you stop at the house and grab quarters. 😁
 
Most all of the places I have been going regularly for the last 30 or so years have been completely blown up, so I've just had to accept the reality that hunting in MT is just a footrace now. If I see something a few miles off I just assume I am not the only one trying to get to it.
If I felt like that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be hunting any more, or i'd be doing something way different.
 
I have run into a few instances where I am around non-hunting folks or those that maybe hunt one day every other year, asking me "where did you shoot that buck/bear, etc." It seems they are oblivious to the unwritten rule of "don't ask, don't tell" when it comes to hunting spots. It is always nice and awkward when I say "south of here" or "a ways north"....and then they keep asking....and I stare at them like I don't understand English. Dude, pick up on it. I am not spelling it out and giving directions. That is a total chode-polisher move. (I agree we need to bring back chode. Massively underused).
 
Back
Top