Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spot lighting for yotes, called in something else

Used to call coyotes at night in the breaks. Made a stand one night and had the feeling like something was watching me. Never could catch it with the light. Went back the next morning and found mountain lion tracks where he crouched down 75 yards from where I was sitting. I don’t call at night in that area anymore

Used to call coyotes at night in the breaks. Made a stand one night and had the feeling like something was watching me. Never could catch it with the light. Went back the next morning and found mountain lion tracks where he crouched down 75 yards from where I was sitting. I don’t call at night in that area anymore
That's why I'm doubting it was a lion. If it wanted to get close to me, it would've. Probably wouldn't have shouted about it beforehand. Still got me to rethink the solo spotlighting though.

No you'll have a 5 day waiting period though. But that's ok I'd be right back out there trying it lions will pass through the same area multiple times especially if they have a kill
I'm gonna get out there this evening (not at night!) and set up near the treeline. I'll keep you posted!! Thanks for the tips.

Well don't shoot him if your tag isn't valid Haha.... as much as you want to it isn't worth it. Second thing is you need to make sure the quota is open in your district your hunting if either female or Male is close there's not a chance in hell I'd run the risk of shooting one if it's closed...... if your tags valid and district's wide open go full retard out there and get him! Good luck!

Haven't heard the same noise since. Its snowing though, so I'm hoping to get up on that ridge tomorrow (I'll have to hike a few miles around all the private) and find out if I've got a kitty neighbor, or if I need a psych evaluation! Thank you everyone for the tips and not assuming I'm an idiot (jury is still out). I'll keep updating!

Haven't heard the same noise since. Its snowing though, so I'm hoping to get up on that ridge tomorrow (I'll have to hike a few miles around all the private) and find out if I've got a kitty neighbor, or if I need a psych evaluation! Thank you everyone for the tips and not assuming I'm an idiot (jury is still out). I'll keep updating!
0226201501~3.jpg
The ridgeline in question.

I've been back a few times and haven't heard or seen signs of anything. If one was in the area, it doesn't seem to be playing along anymore.

After I cleaned out my britches, I thought about the encounter and decided it was more exciting than scary. I'll be back out with my lights this weekend!

Man I would love to call in a mtn lion
but since I live in Pa Ill have to settle for yotes fox and bobcats

And unless we are growing coyotes in the 100+ lb range, i'm here to tell ya, there are wolves.
Wolves I dont think so. Not excluding it but on our farm and neighboring farms in north central PA 70-80lb yotes are killed alot.
Lions I believe are around in PA. Met to many people that have said they seen em. Seen to many pics and a couple videos. One video from an elderly couple they took off their back porch in there pasture grass field outside of smethport, PA. was undoubtedly a mt. lion. It leapt across an 8 foot path the guy mows thru the field. See it clear as day. They are pretty sneaky ya know.

I would love to see a pic of an 80lb coyote. On a scale of course.
I'll see if I can get my dad to dig up the photo we stopped and took of one opening day of deer season years back hanging on one of the camps meat poles. We were heading back to camp for lunch and thought it was a wolf and stopped it was 78lbs.

Ur avatar looks huge but I cant enlarge it so it's tough to tell. But yea I guess if that's what that wolf weighed.

My dad says I'm full of crap and said it was 60 some lbs. Makes sense but either way that's huge and if you saw a 60 plus pound yote dart by in the timber lots of people would immediately think wolf. He is gonna try and find a pic and text it as he is 2000 miles away.
I guess it would like my avatar give or take 10 pounds.

My dad says I'm full of crap and said it was 60 some lbs. Makes sense but either way that's huge and if you saw a 60 plus pound yote dart by in the timber lots of people would immediately think wolf. He is gonna try and find a pic and text it as he is 2000 miles away.
I shot a number of coyotes....or I should say "coy-dogs"? in New England while deer hunting, and I weighed the largest, a big male, at 50#, I'm guessing alot of them are crosses of some sort mixed w/whatever (huskies, dogs, IDK?). I did a pedestal shoulder mount of that 'yote and it came out great. Never heard of them bigger than 50#, like others have said, if I don't see it on a scale I'm a non-believer, but that's just me.

The 'yotes are def. smaller out west, I weighed a couple I shot this year and they were at 25 and 30#, but I'll gladly take the smaller ones with the beautiful white coats that bring high $$. :)

My hunting partner and I woke up to it one night in the elk woods. It was close! Under 500 yards. Neither one of us slept much. Smelt a skunk in the area of the sounds the next morning, best we could figure that cat tried to eat the wrong animal.

Depending on the time of year, skunks make some amazing screams and yowls of their own, especially in their mating season which is midMarchish more or less. Might have just overheard some enthusiastic sex! Raccoons have a pretty good repertoire of their own, which you can hear almost any time of the year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back