Sportsmen's Roundtable representative sought

Oak

Expert
This is a pretty simple process. Show up, throw your name in the hat, get voted to represent sportsmen in the NW region for the next two years. I hope we get a good turnout. We have a statewide meeting in a little more than a week and will be taking what we hear from sportsmen in Glenwood Springs to the statewide meeting.

Sportsmen and women sought to represent region on Sportsmen's Roundtable, elections to be held in Glenwood Springs

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. - Hunters and anglers interested in expressing ideas and concerns to their representatives on the Sportsmen's Roundtable are invited to gather at a public meeting beginning at 6:30 p.m., Monday, Feb. 29 at the Glenwood Springs Community Center, Room Sopris 'C', 100 Wulfsohn Road. Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials will attend to update sportsmen about recent issues and answer questions about a variety of hunting and fishing topics.

In addition to regular business, attendees will have the opportunity to nominate and vote to elect one of two Northwest Region representatives to the Sportsmen's Roundtable. The other elected member will be chosen at a future meeting in 2016.

Anyone wishing to represent the Northwest Region on the Sportsmen's Roundtable should attend and be prepared to offer a brief explanation about why they should be elected.

Elected members serve two-year terms and can run twice. Their duties include gathering input from the region's sportsmen, organizing and leading two regional meetings and attending two statewide meetings with high-level representatives from Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife formed the Sportsmen's Roundtable in 2012 to provide an opportunity for sportsmen to submit input about wildlife management decisions directly to CPW leadership.

Regional Sportsmen’s Caucus meetings are open to participation by any hunter or angler who has an interest in the Northwest Region. The meetings can include any number of participants; no active hunter or angler will be excluded from the discussion.

In addition to voicing their opinions at regional meetings, members of the public can contact their representatives directly at any time.

The next statewide Sportsmen's Roundtable meeting is scheduled for March, 5, in Buena Vista.

Who: NW Region Sportsmen's Roundtable caucus

What: Meeting and election

When: Monday, Feb. 29, 6:30 p.m.

Where: Glenwood Springs Community Center, Sopris Room C, 100 Wulfsohn Road.

For more information about the Sportsmen's Roundtable, go to http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/Roundtable.aspx

So...13 people attended the meeting last night:

5 Roundtable delegates
3 CPW staff
1 recently former roundtable delegate
1 father of the student delegate that couldn't make the meeting
1 wife of a delegate
1 husband/wife couple members of the public

Wow!

Hard to imagine less turn-out from the public than we get in Wyoming.

Pretty amazing, really. The meeting was organized by sportsmen who commit to 2 years of volunteer outreach to the hunting/fishing community, to promote dialogue between them and CPW. The CPW staff facilitates the meetings, but they really are the "sportsman's meeting." None of the 5 delegates who volunteered their time yesterday drove less than 80 miles to get to the meeting.

My apologies. I am sorry, and appreciate the efforts of the/your team. (Mondays are tough for a husband, father of 2, who have school, student council, choir, one in club soccer and one in club swimming - work and workouts. Man. i-70 still closed? )
I know my son would love to get involved. I will get there. Need a few more years.
Could have used a soak in the tub too.

Net net - what happened sir?

Crazy... As many people as I hear complaining about the whole process in Colorado, I am always amazed to hear about the lack of turn out. I wish that I had more time, although I'm sure I would be fairly frustrated to take time away from a job and family to help facilitate these kind of meetings, only to have no one show...

I know it sucks to have them on Weekdays...life gets in the way sometimes, but really you can't legitimately sit there and complain, and be complacent to do nothing about it...

Thanks Oak... for giving your time away from your family and job to do all that you do... Seriously... I don't think people really understand the amount that some give... to go unappreciated. That goes for all the members that volunteer to these groups and others...

Sad deal....

For the record.... To those that feel that I am calling them out...I did not attend... therefore the "pot calling the kettle black" applies to me... not that I haven't attended before....:W:

So...13 people attended the meeting last night:

5 Roundtable delegates
3 CPW staff
1 recently former roundtable delegate
1 father of the student delegate that couldn't make the meeting
1 wife of a delegate
1 husband/wife couple members of the public

Ughhh! I often wonder, when process and policy intersect, maybe the bigger hunting community gets out of the system what they have put into the system. Your work and advocacy being a big benefit to process.

Oak, first off thanks so much for putting in the effort. I think these meetings are important and if they received wider notice I'd think participation would be a lot larger.

At the NE meeting Jennifer Churchill (Public Information Officer CPW) made extensive use of her email list she'd been keeping and invited every person who had ever contacted her and she thought might have an interest. Then she contacted them twice more for luck. Hunter participation was around 30 or so, many from the Colorado Bowhunters whom I believe did some organising themselves. We chose two very good people to represent us at the state meeting from amongst the six very good candidates who ran for the position.

I looked online for a live feed of your meeting to listen in, but couldn't find one. (My excuse 180 miles and I'm not in the area.) I did want to hear what was said and what topics were discussed. If possible I want to attend the statewide roundtable to listen to the discussion. Failing that I'd hope they have a live feed or transcript available.

I think those roundtables are an underused opportunity to positively influence CPW policy and hunting regulations in the state of Colorado.

Back