Caribou Gear

Speer Deep Curl

Rooster52

Anyone shoot these bullets ? I took my largest whitetail to date with my 30-06 loaded with 180 grain Speer Deep Curl bullet over 59 grains of Reloader 22. In an 170 yard angleing away shot ,I recovered the bullet in the opposite shoulder ,a perfect mushroom and retained 85 % of it's original weight.
One of the most accurate loads in my 30-06.I never was a Speer bullet fan but this one is a winner.

I've not shot them myself. But they are one tough bullet. Actually the %85 retention surprises me a little. I figured it would be slightly higher than that.

A well constructed bullet for sure.

I have loaded some for my 44 Mag. 270 grain. I have yet to take an animal with one. What drew me to these bullets is that they are made in the same exact way as the Federal Fusion bullets. If you didnt know, ATK owns Speer, Federal Ammo, CCI so on and so forth. After speaking with some one at Federal when I was inquiring about the availability of Fusion bullets for hand loading, he is the one who told me about Deep Curl bullets. I would have to go back and look, but the whitetail buck I took 2 season ago with a 308 Federal Fusion, If I remember correctly had a 94% weight retention.

I have loaded some for my 44 Mag. 270 grain. I have yet to take an animal with one. What drew me to these bullets is that they are made in the same exact way as the Federal Fusion bullets. If you didnt know, ATK owns Speer, Federal Ammo, CCI so on and so forth. After speaking with some one at Federal when I was inquiring about the availability of Fusion bullets for hand loading, he is the one who told me about Deep Curl bullets. I would have to go back and look, but the whitetail buck I took 2 season ago with a 308 Federal Fusion, If I remember correctly had a 94% weight retention.

That 95% was more of what I was expecting from the deep curl.

The buck I took ,it broke a rib going in and went thru the shoulder bone on the exit,just lacked going thru the hide for a complete pass thru. That may be why it only retained 85 %. I thought that was pretty good.

I don,t know if it is the concave of the rear of the bullet or not but they shoot very accurate in my rifle and my friends rifle as long as we do not try to push them to fast.When I get chance I want to try them in my 270 WSM.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back