Sow bears and boo boos - let's see them.

My SIL once tried to rescue an ice chest from Boo Boo. Boo Boo just popped his teeth a couple of times and my SIL decided it wasn't worth it.

I thought this was a big bear for Nebraska until the sow was hissing at me a few steps away. Called in the whole (pack?) of bears.

Attachments

• 1D156E08-E4E5-4B0F-B315-F53235FD208D.jpeg
    1D156E08-E4E5-4B0F-B315-F53235FD208D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 746742F8-6680-48A1-9E31-5726BD0EB41E.jpeg
    746742F8-6680-48A1-9E31-5726BD0EB41E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
0F779229-F2D9-436B-83E1-9D96B98D8CCB.jpeg
I scratched out his name but this kid and I had a serious debate about the hound hunting with bears season when it was in the legislature. He told me how it will be good so hunters quit shooting tiny bears. At that range he obviously wasn’t using dogs but holy shit….

View attachment 224090
I scratched out his name but this kid and I had a serious debate about the hound hunting with bears season when it was in the legislature. He told me how it will be good so hunters quit shooting tiny bears. At that range he obviously wasn’t using dogs but holy shit….
Rare for me to say this but he should be shamed for this behavior

View attachment 224090
In his defense, it's hard to judge the size of a bear 3/4 of a mile away.

View attachment 224090
Looks like heavy timber, how did he even find it after shooting it?

In his defense, it's hard to judge the size of a bear 3/4 of a mile away.

Tough to stalk closer, too. Them bears have got good noses.
🙄
I used to hunt a spot where I would glass for bears from the side of the road up into a cliffy canyon. Upon seeing a bear it would require wading an icy creek and another 30 minutes through the timber before trying to climb up and get a close shot at a bear. I spooked one this way when the wind swirled on approach and had a couple more feed out of the area before I got there.

One day my brother in law was all excited about how far he had killed a bear from a couple days prior. He had shot a medium sized black bear from 1250 yards. He was telling me all about the shot. He ended up throwing the hide in the dumpster. His enjoyment of that hunt was all about making a 1250 yard shot.

Turns out he shot it from the same corner of the road where I sit and glass before making a stalk up that canyon.

🙄🤷‍♂️

Shooting a live animal from that distance has zero appeal to me. I am impressed with the technical challenge of making a shot from that far, but shooting steel would be more rewarding than an animal killed at a distance further than it is possible for them to know danger exists.

I am impressed that he hit a bear that small at that range. I know my limitations and I would have had to have waited for a bigger one (one that would square 20’ or so). 😀
I think the rule of 3 applies here divide the number of yards he said he shot it from by 3 and your still prob not at the actual range he shot from….

I think the rule of 3 applies here divide the number of yards he said he shot it from by 3 and your still prob not at the actual range he shot from….
The rule of 3 likely also applied to another part of this kill:

a / 3 = b, with a being the size he thought the bear was and b being the actual size.

I'm far from an expert, but what I do know from being around bears for 20 plus years, when you see one this color if you're looking for a big bear, STOP! Dark legs, dark face, skinny, and especially this color are normally sows or young bears. The more blonde, the younger they normally are. Very few big boars walking around this color. Tons of dinks though. If you're looking for a hide, hold off. If you're looking for a pelt, pull the trigger, and that's what you will get. You can put it on the right side of all the chipmunks, squirrel, marmot skins you have on the wall.

View attachment 223639
Fun thread!

I've a question, if most blondies are small, do they grow darker as they age?

I'm not much of a bear killer, but I watched this bear last year for a few days and got in close, I could have sworn it was a bigger bear, but now I'm doubting myself.

I don't mean to de-rail, just interested in opinions from more bear savvy people.

Attachments

• Resized952021091195073003957346.jpg
    Resized952021091195073003957346.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Resized952021091195073016956789.jpg
    Resized952021091195073016956789.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 101
Fun thread!

I'm not much of a bear killer, but I watched this bear last year for a few days and got in close, I could have sworn it was a bigger bear, but now I'm doubting myself.

I don't mean to de-rail, just interested in opinions from more bear savvy people.
I’d be willing to bet it’s a fat and fluffy sow. Pear shaped, short neck.

Fun thread!

Just off the first picture, wide across the back and rump, I say shooter. Second picture going off the ears I say not a shooter.

Fun thread!

That’s a sow. Notice the pair shape with dainty shoulders compared to hips.

Have been watching some social media posts coming by regularly of trail cam pics of a bear referred to as a big boar with dozens of folks wishing the hunter encouragement to get “him”. Big Helen.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back