South Africa

VikingsGuy

As mentioned in an earlier post, we have just gotten back from a trip to South Africa hunting. It was a combo trip - family vacation and hunting safari. It was the whole clan - wife, son, both daughters and the new son-in-law. We did a bunch of sight seeing together and when we were hunting the women were hanging out in Cape Town (all three passed on the hunting invitation, but they were invited). We had a blast and am very glad we did it, but frankly I doubt I will do it a second time. I am not much of a "guided" person - I like to get out on my own and explore - not a viable option in most cases in South Africa. The guides were great - just not my cup of tea. We saw just about everything you could want to see (including a leopard taking down an impala 50 yards from us) and shot everything on our list (except my son's wish for a Warthog - we saw hundreds of them over the two weeks, but by the time we targeted finding a big one on the final day the weather changed and they disappeared).

I don't have time to break-down day by day or hunt by hunt right now - if there is interest I can come back and do a travelogue another time after I get caught up. In the mean time, here are a few pictures. FWIW - I shot a .308 and my son shot 300wsm. Both guns killed everything they hit - some dropped right in their tracks, some ran 50-100 yards. All were found within a couple of minutes. This confirmed our understanding going in - a well place .30 cal TTSX will quickly dispatch any African plains game. One other quick comment - the hunting was trickier than I was expecting given the shot distances ranged from 140-280 yards and we never had any wind - in theory that should have made things fairly easy. But the animals were super skitish and the thick highveld brush placed a premium on quick and accurate shots - the limited shooting lanes closed quickly as the animals where always moving around.

Last edited:
Very cool! I share the same sentiments but a really neat trip nonetheless.

Looks like you guys had a great time. Really like that live waterbuck. The sable is something else, too.

I love all the photos, thanks for sharing. Did you get a chance to eat from the various animals you got? If so, which was your favorite?

Between our animals and some from a second group we ate sable, kudu, wildebeest, gemsbok, eland and reedbuck. Kudu and reedbuck were the best.

The three of us ended up donating about 1400 pounds of fresh meat to a local school lunch program. For many of the kids this hot lunch program is their only protein rich meal of the day.

Looks like you guys had a great time. Really like that live waterbuck. The sable is something else, too.

They are beautiful. My favorite was a giraffe that got within 55 yards of us while we were on foot. Amazing creatures.

Sounds like you had a great trip, and those are awesome photos thanks for sharing. Really love that kudu and sable.

congratulations, glad you had a good trip and enjoyed the hunts. Very nicely done!

Did the girls go up Table mountain, while in Cape Town ?

Congrats, I am envious.

After having been there, "if" you were to go back to hunt dangerous game, which one would you want to hunt ( dollars aside ) Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Elephant, Buffalo, or Hippo ?

Very cool. My co worker just got back from there as well.
I know it isn’t Disney but I never knew how fierce giraffes were. He showed me a video of two bulls fighting to the death, by slamming their heads into one another, with the victor finishing the loser off by breaking its legs and stomping its head into the ground.

Oh man, I would have stopped short of posting the zebra. I hear those garner death treats on the interwebs.

Congrats, I am envious.

After having been there, "if" you were to go back to hunt dangerous game, which one would you want to hunt ( dollars aside ) Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Elephant, Buffalo, or Hippo ?

If I were to go back we would target some more plains game we didn’t do this time such as Eland, Rhone Antelope, Waterbuck, Nyala, Springbok, Impala and a second chance at warthog. As for your specific “dangerous game” question, the only one of the dangerous 7 I would hunt is Cape Buffalo. Everybody has their personal list - for me, the big cats (lion, leopard, cheetah), dogs (hyena, jackal, wild dog), elephant, rhino, primates, hippo and giraffe are off the table. I respect that others make different choices (so long as legal and ethical fair chase).

Last edited:
I'd love to go to Africa just for the expierence at least once... Thanks for sharing!

What an adventure! Pretty cool that you were able to go as a family over to experience the intro to Africa together.

Your pictures show a much drier climate than fishing4sanity's photos, and my nose smells the drier dust just fine from your images. Thanks for the share

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back