Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Sous Vide then smoke?

stevejfarms

Due to covid explosions and other scheduling difficulties at the preferred venue (the local tavern😉), I’m having my company Christmas party on February 5th. Going to feed and wet the whistles of all my employees and anyone else who helps out on the farm during the course of the year. Going to cook smoked pork chops, twice baked potatoes, and a lettuce salad. I need a suggestion for another side that will knock their socks off. I want to try something new with my smoked chops. Has anyone tried sous vide at say, 130 for a couple of hours and then smoked to finish? I love smoked pork chops, but always wish they were more tender like a good ribeye. And please don’t suggest game, it’s been a tough year and I’ve had to depend on the charity of others.

I think the sous vide and smoke (or smoke and sous vide) is best reserved for larger tougher cuts. I think for the smoked pork chops you are better going for a wet brine, rub, and then smoke. I also think double cut (thick) chops are a better option for smoking as they will take longer so absorb more smoke. Even better, I would use whole loins and then slice and serve. Amazing Ribs has a good whole loin recipe. Small note, a spritz of apple juice and/or apple cider vinegar is good as it will keep the meet wet which allows it to take on more smoke and will also slow the cook....also taking on more smoke.

I think since you are considering running the smoker, I see no reason to not throw a pan of baked beans on the smoker and make some smoked bbq baked beans. They would play well with the smoked pork and work well with the potatoes and salad.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I’d smoke then sous vide

honestly just cut out the sous vide and smoke the pork chops till they hit the temp you’d hit in the sous vide before searing. Sous vide seems unnecessary here and will hinder smoke time without adding anything to the flavor imo

I would either do the sous vide or smoke. Not sure i would do both. But if you want to do both id smoke then sous then a quick sear.

I would either do the sous vide or smoke. Not sure i would do both. But if you want to do both id smoke then sous then a quick sear.
This. Smoking will also cook it some, so by ending with sous vide I would think you would have better temp control of the meat. I would also try experimenting (if possible) prior to the party.

Let us know your results!

Smoke first, then sous vide. If you have a way to sear quickly then getting them all bagged and into the water bath shouldn't be too time consuming and will leave your oven free.

I’ve used liquid smoke with some success when it’s cold out and the smoker is just too much work.

I would put a no more than a teaspoon diluted in a 1/4 water in the bag with the seasoning of your choice. Then do 125 for a hour and half. Finally, finish in a hot cast iron pan or griddle.

Smoke first. Is the sous vide absolutely necessary?
If your cooking for a bunch it may be super helpful to keep production moving. Having them preheated ready for a skillet would be a huge time saver.

JR is correct texture is degrading the longer it goes. But for a hour or so shouldn’t be a issue.

Sous vide and smoke are both low temp cooking. I would smoke, the sear.....skip the sous vide it degrades meat texture.

If the sous vide is a must, smoke for 20-30 min then bag them, then sear.
Yeah
I prefer it like this.

Smoke first. Is the sous vide absolutely necessary?
No, just thinking out loud to you guys. I smoked some this weekend that were fantastic, but I got some really good chops. Buying pork chops around here is like playing Russian roulette though.

I would definitely recommend smoking whole and then slicing, much the way you would do a prime rib.

Whole loins are usually pretty cheap. I’d buy however much you need, then cut it into sections of whatever length fits in some deep pans that will fit in your fridge. Brine them for a few days and they’ll hold moister much better.

As for the actual cooking, I would smoke first, then finish covered in the over in a deep pan so that they could stew in their juices as they finish. I don’t think you’re ever going to get ribeye tender at the normally recommend pork temperatures. You’re either going to have them a little tougher because they’re well done, or take them past 180 degrees for a few hours and end up with them falling apart like pulled pork or pork ribs that the bone pulls out of. And, since the loin is a lot leaner than ribs or shoulder, I think going to 180+ will not only leave your chops falling apart, but they’ll likely be very dry as well. I think the best you can do with smoking then is to smoke them long enough to absorb some flavor, then finish covered in a deep pan.

I would definitely recommend smoking whole and then slicing, much the way you would do a prime rib.

Whole loins are usually pretty cheap. I’d buy however much you need, then cut it into sections of whatever length fits in some deep pans that will fit in your fridge. Brine them for a few days and they’ll hold moister much better.

As for the actual cooking, I would smoke first, then finish covered in the over in a deep pan so that they could stew in their juices as they finish. I don’t think you’re ever going to get ribeye tender at the normally recommend pork temperatures. You’re either going to have them a little tougher because they’re well done, or take them past 180 degrees for a few hours and end up with them falling apart like pulled pork or pork ribs that the bone pulls out of. And, since the loin is a lot leaner than ribs or shoulder, I think going to 180+ will not only leave your chops falling apart, but they’ll likely be very dry as well. I think the best you can do with smoking then is to smoke them long enough to absorb some flavor, then finish covered in a deep pan.
Unless you are dealing with wild pork there's no need to cook chops to well done. I pull mine at 140-145 and they climb another 5 while they rest. I usually buy a whole loin at Costco and cut my own chops so I can make them 1- 1 1/2" or so thick. Thin chops dry out quick. I wouldn't say they come out rib eye tender but still very tender.

Sous vide and smoke are both low temp cooking. I would smoke, the sear.....skip the sous vide it degrades meat texture.

If the sous vide is a must, smoke for 20-30 min then bag them, then sear.
I never had any degradation on meat texture issues. The only thing that sous vide does not do is sear, which is why I finish it on a pan to get the desired sear.

I never had any degradation on meat texture issues. The only thing that sous vide does not do is sear, which is why I finish it on a pan to get the desired sear.
You can get a mushy texture and its also possible to go too long and dry the meat out. Really, stuff like backstrap shouldn't go much more than an hour and a half for optimum texture.

You can get a mushy texture and its also possible to go too long and dry the meat out. Really, stuff like backstrap shouldn't go much more than an hour and a half for optimum texture.
As I said, I never had any issues with texture. The skirt steak picture in #17 (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/first-sous-vide-meal.234542/) was cooked at 118F for 5 hours, and as you can see, there is no issue, and not dry. Frankly, I do not know how you can make it dry when it is vacuum sealed and in a water bath.

1659914783353.png
1659914870100.png
1659914943319.png
1659915047103.png

The well done was for the wife. :ROFLMAO:

1659915181293.png

The key is to know your meat and how to cook them. I never overcook my meat, regardless of the means of cooking. Depending on the cut, I like mine, blue rare. Cheers!

Back