MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sons Mule Deer...

powderburn

Well it was actually a short season when we finally got around to getting serious about snapping tags. We knew a front was coming hard and luckily I had that week off. Not so lucky was how quick the weather closed us in. We new the Elk would head for the flat land and usually they kind of stage up in a couple area's and were on them like ugly on a frog. Monday found my partner and I riding in to the bottom edge of the valley from about 2 miles to the south. My son and his gal were walking in about 3/4s of a mile to the north of the valley.at the top end. We rode in crossing lots of elk tracks heading straight east. When we got to our vantage point we caught a glimpse of my son and his girlfriend and after making contact via radio they confirmed that there were many tracks heading over the top to the safety of private ground. They bugged out as the storm intensified, couldn't blame them. As for my partner and I we stuck it out much to the horse's disapproval arriving back at the truck later in the day with horizontal snow blowing and accumulating to around 20". Day 2 my son his girlfriend and I set in on foot knowing it would be a task with the horse's. That was a bust with waste deep snow but at least the wind had stopped blowing mach1. Day 3 I was solo so I spent it in the flatlands checking out a couple area's with nothing but a couple pictures of the mulies I was playing with and the temperature was climbing back to above freezing. Seeing as elk was basically out my son pulled another day off so back to the mountains to see it we could snap his mulie buck draw tag. We were hoping the storm brought some of the big guys down from the higher reaches. After a 3/4 mile hike back through knee deep snow we stopped and I grunted a couple times and 2 bookend bucks appeared 80 yrds away. They were almost identical and with it being my sons last day available he put one down. All in all it was again a stellar year spent afield.
My son and his gal breaking over the top end of the valley.

Snow day 2

My sons buck 142"

Nice buck. Love the big neck on it. You didn't mess around getting that euro done . I'm getting a pile I need to start working on.

Nice buck. Love the big neck on it. You didn't mess around getting that euro done . I'm getting a pile I need to start working on.

Just happen to know the taxidermist, his beetles were getting hungry and we swap him the capes of any deer we don't get mounted. Two day turn around which surprised us but it turned out great. The deer did have some weight to him tipping the scale at the butchers at 178 just before processing. I felt every pound of him the next day after dragging him out whole. :) Here is a quick video of the conditions that day. On a good day you can spot 4 different valleys and make a play for any of them off the horses in a couple hours. Only draw back is it could take 6 hours back to the truck depending on which way you go. Saving grace in the dark is those two horses have done it so many times you just put on the auto pilot and have a nap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK1kjODaros

Pretty simple mounted the two by first drilling a hole a little bigger than the screw shank but smaller than the screw head from the back side of the shed. Then drilled a hole in the bottom of the skull plate just a bit smaller than the screw shank. Screwed them together with one screw that we tightened after we had the orientation right with the shed. Then drilled a hole in the back side base of the shed to hook onto a nail in the wall. The arrow in the first picture points to where the attaching screw is located. I'll be at my sons tomorrow and get a picture from the back for you.

Congrats to your boy on a great buck! Euro came out very nice.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back