Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sons First Hunt?

Hammsolo

Hey Fellow Woods Wanderers, I was blessed to marry an amazing woman last year, and received the bonus of an amazing son. I was raised in Montana by a non-hunter, but got lucky to know hunters that mentored me. My mom was also a full-supporter. He likes shooting and talks about hunting. Mom and I want to get him into it.First hunt ideas?

13. In good shape. Likes the outdoors.
Squirrels and upland birds (especially with a pointing dog) are great first hunts. 3 kids in, it has become clear to me that dads think about the hunt and the kids think about time alone with dad. So, really any opportunity will do as long as you are patient and focused on the kid's hunt more than yours.

As an aside, good for you that you are taking the time to teach this young man to hunt. My oldest daughter was blessed with an amazing giving and supportive step-mom (my wife). It has been a great blessing to both of them as they became as close as any biological mom/daughter. Whether via re-marriage, adoption or foster care, showing love, compassion and interest in a child is a beautiful thing.

Get him out shooting, however I always linked shooting and eventually hunting with the understanding that work came first here on the farm... So do a project with him, anything, then take him with you..

I totally get that you want to go just have fun.. However, building relationship with him means being a part of every part of his life... At least as much as possible..

My oldest 2 sons came with mom... I didn't want to be a Disney Land dad.. Just dad.. Take my advice for what it's worth...
You sound as though your heart is in the right place..

I have had really good luck starting kids on birds. Ducks and geese give them enough volume to get excited about shooting at game. A dove hunt would be ideal. If I could get a kid on one of those Labor Day hunts for dove in Mississippi they would be hooked for sure.

Get him out shooting, however I always linked shooting and eventually hunting with the understanding that work came first here on the farm... So do a project with him, anything, then take him with you..

I totally get that you want to go just have fun.. However, building relationship with him means being a part of every part of his life... At least as much as possible..

My oldest 2 sons came with mom... I didn't want to be a Disney Land dad.. Just dad.. Take my advice for what it's worth...
You sound as though your heart is in the right place..

Thank you for the wisdom. My heart is, and I will take your advice. I have a landowner that could use some help I’m sure. Shooting, scouting... doesn’t sound bad to me.

I have had really good luck starting kids on birds. Ducks and geese give them enough volume to get excited about shooting at game. A dove hunt would be ideal. If I could get a kid on one of those Labor Day hunts for dove in Mississippi they would be hooked for sure.

One of my spots is loaded with unpressured turkey, and the other has pheasant. Too bad our golden doodle isn’t trained up! 😂

I pretty much wore out my single shot Savage 410 before I was about 9. We would go through cases of clay pigeons every month or so. Squirrels rabbits dove and quail were my first game taken. I will always remember those hunts with my Dad when I was young—-and that was in the 1960s. My point is kudos to you for teaching him to hunt.

I pretty much wore out my single shot Savage 410 before I was about 9. We would go through cases of clay pigeons every month or so. Squirrels rabbits dove and quail were my first game taken. I will always remember those hunts with my Dad when I was young—-and that was in the 1960s. My point is kudos to you for teaching him to hunt.

Thank yah sir

Hey Fellow Woods Wanderers, I was blessed to marry an amazing woman last year, and received the bonus of an amazing son. I was raised in Montana by a non-hunter, but got lucky to know hunters that mentored me. My mom was also a full-supporter. He likes shooting and talks about hunting. Mom and I want to get him into it.First hunt ideas?
I just saw this thread and it's a topic I've thought alot about as my kids have begun hunting. I have two sons hunting now. One is 13 and the other is 11. They both started around 10. I think that most of the advice you've gotten is very good, but there's one thing I'd disagree with. I do not think that upland birds are the way to start a kid hunting. I think that in terms of gun handling skills and safety, this is probably the most demanding form of hunting. There's just alot for a young hunter to keep straight. You have to maintain muzzle control as you're walking all over, pushing through brush, etc, probably with another person right near you. You have to be ready for the flush, keep up with the dog, make shot decisions in a split second and watch out for the dog as you're doing it. It's also more likely that there are other hunters nearby. (hunting over a good pointing dog would be different).
I think that waterfowl hunting is a great place to start, as is squirrell hunting and even turkeys/deer if you have a good spot, where sightings are plentiful and you aren't doing 10 miles up and over mountains. With a new hunter, I like to be able to be right there with them, within arms reach, preferably sitting. My 13 year old has moved on to upland this year and it has gone great, but I'm glad I waited. My 11 year old is not ready for that yet.

Did you guys get out at all this year? If so, how did it go?

He decided to wait a year. I don’t want to press him. I just didn’t ready. Next chance is waterfowl in a few weeks. Thanks! How’s the kids season so far?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back