Caribou Gear Tarp

Sons First Elk Rifle - Poll

Choose from one of the 2 options below.

• 7mm-08

Votes: 174 80.9%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 41 19.1%

• Total voters
So go with a 0 MOA or 20 MOA base? Probably don't need the 20 MOA. What about the anti-cant level on the back of the base? Just something else to worry about that most likely wouldn't make any difference?

With the 44mm scope can I get away with low rings with the 20 MOA base?

Thanks, Nathan

So go with a 0 MOA or 20 MOA base? Probably don't need the 20 MOA. What about the anti-cant level on the back of the base? Just something else to worry about that most likely wouldn't make any difference?

With the 44mm scope can I get away with low rings with the 20 MOA base?

Thanks, Nathan
I'd just keep it simple. mtmuley

What is the difference in rings? There are some scope rings out there that are $150 each! So I would end up with $400ish in rings and bases.

Vortex rings are around $50 - $75 for a pair. Talley doesn't have very many options for a rail.

I'm not sure that gun exists in a Left Hand version. I've looked for it but even on the Tikka website it doesn't show a 7mm-08 Left Handed available in Stainless. It is available in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I few years ago I bought a 270wsm tikka t3 lite sss left hand for a gift for a friend who works for me

Good call on the Mesa. I think overall it's more in that sweet spot for weight.

I've had good luck with Precision Hunter ELDX's, Federal Fusions and Superformance SST's. Lots of good options out there.

I voted 7mm-08. I just like that round. Within 200 yards either should work fine. Pretty good discussion. And I second @mtmuley with his keep it simple advise. Enjoy the hunt with your son. Should be a fun time!

Nathan
Great choice in a rifle your son will enjoy for his life. I was going to suggest the Hawkins Precision Hybrid rings but see you already purchased some others.

No need for a 20 MOA base unless you plan to zero at substantial range, or the scope has limited adjustment. A lot of European scopes have pretty limited adjustment. If you did go with a 20MOA base it wouldn’t usually impact scope clearance.

sin(.34)=.006. So if your scope was 10” past the center of the base it would drop .060” compared to a 0 MOA base.

Between the 2 calibers, I voted and would choose the 7mm-08, because I think it's a better hunting cartridge for elk. Good luck to your son with whatever the both of you choose.

Voted 7mm.

FWIW reduced loads have been a great training tool for my kids.
They learned to shoot comfortably on their big game rifle without fearing recoil. There's still boom/bang without the push/snap. Thus far it's worked well when it comes to game time.

My daughter has harvested one elk and one pronghorn both single shots. Her longest shot was 335 yards.

My son has harvested a WTD buck, mule deer buck, and a pronghorn. His longest shot was 220 yards. All single shots as well.

30 cal 150 grain TTSX, not trying to change your mind, just letting you know what they were shooting.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back