MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Son needs a rifle for deer hunting

williaada

Hi there,

My oldest son is 8 turning 9 in Nov., and weighs 55lbs 4ft 2in, and has been shooting the following caliber: BB gun, .22, and .204.

I am looking to get him his own rifle. I am having a hard time on caliber. I do reload so I can do a reduced load. Any input is appreciated.

thanks
Adam

I grew up on the 7mm-08 and I can’t wait for my son to do the same. I got a stock with a 12.5” LOP and have Hornady lite 120s. It’s a dream to shoot. I’d also consider the .243 and the 6.5 creedmoor.

+1 on the 7-08

Like Boomer said, 243 and 6.5 would also be strong considerations with ammo availability

Another not for the 7-08. Excellent all round cartridge, my wife and I each have one and I load 120gr barnes in hers and it has very mild recoil.

At this point I'd base the hair splitting between 6.5, .243 and 7mm-08 on ammo or components you can reasonably find. They're all good but I went through a heck of time last winter when I bought a 6.5CM for my 12 year old son to use on his first deer hunt this fall. I did find some factory ammo and subsequently geared up to re-load but with the spotty availability it would be a bummer for them to get a new rifle that they can't shoot!

.243 would be my choice. Hopefully someday I can get my 9 year old shooting. Just not quite there yet.

Hi there,

My oldest son is 8 turning 9 in Nov., and weighs 55lbs 4ft 2in, and has been shooting the following caliber: BB gun, .22, and .204.

I am looking to get him his own rifle. I am having a hard time on caliber. I do reload so I can do a reduced load. Any input is appreciated.

thanks
Adam
.243 and Barnes TTSX or 95gr ballistic tip nosler. Go forth and kill everything he hits.

Built the Hunting Princess a rifle when she was 11. Howa 1500 action in HT-08, on a Boyd's thumbhole stock and Vortex glass. She started with the above mentioned 120 lite loads and it was a creampuff. Now she is up to full loads.....if only she was still as interested in hunting vs the color guard/band :/

7mm08.

My coworker had the same questions for his daughter last year. She was around the same size as your son. I told him to buy a 7mm08 and he did. His daughter loves it and shoots it well. She killed a buck opening morning of youth season.

Hi there,

thanks
Adam
I second those suggesting the 7mm08. My son has had his since turning 10 and is now 25. Still using and still loving it. Another great youth gun is the 35. My dad bought me a Marlin 35 when I was 9. Great short range gun and kids love a lever action. I still take it with me on at least one hunt per year.

Back