PEAX Equipment

Something smells fishy about Montana Elk Hunt..

Huh????

Did I miss something? Where did the game warden decide anything? I thought it was still being investigated?

But, interesting that you don't believe the guy's statement that God saved their lives. Good to see you were able to spot that bullshit, now we just have to decide how much of the rest of the guy's statement that you think is bullshit.

Its been 16 days. I'm guessing if they were going to be charged with something, they would have by now.

Its been 16 days. I'm guessing if they were going to be charged with something, they would have by now.

Why isn't Montana FWP charging them with wanton waste of meat???

Mark Appleby, a 49-year-old hunter from Columbia Falls, shot the 6-point bull elk the day before, on Oct. 29, off the Deep Creek Road east of Hungry Horse Reservoir. He quartered the animal and hiked out with the head with the intent of returning to pack out the meat with horses the next day.

Let's see now..... We have two guys that kill a federally protected animal, one of them shoots an elk and leaves the meat on the ground in area with grizzlies and wolves, but hauls the antlers out, and they hold a news conference to discuss "silent" and "violent" animals that never touched them, but howled and made "eerie" noises that caused their horses to have "fiery eyes", being saved only by God's intervention.

At least they got the antlers out..... :rolleyes:

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Warden Perry Brown returned to the site with Appleby and Pitman on Monday, and determined that the wolves had followed the group for about 200 yards away from the elk.
“Perry went back with them and he found a dead wolf and multiple tracks at the site that indicated wolves had been present,” said Jim Satterfield, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks regional supervisor.

Pretty funny that they had a rodeo for 2 miles, fearing for their lives..... yet, the wolves only walked 200 yards.... :hump:

Something smells fishy.....

In MT you are not required to pack the meat before the horns, and if a predator claims your critter while you are gone you are not advised to try and reclaim it. These guys did not break any wanton waste laws.

Thankfully, a few people around are still thinking practically, including the game warden. Most hunters, if they had horses, would wack the head off and come back the next day for the rest of the meat with their stock. That is not an unusual method in any part of the West. That part of their conduct is not even in question.

just my thoughts...not trying to ruffle feathers as the wolf issue seems to do on this site in every post...But why is it so hard for Quervo to believe these dudes were scared of the wolves to the point they shot one? I've never encountered a wolf in the wild but I can tell you this just the sounds of coyotes cranking up at night puts a little pep in my step on the way back in from the field. Now Ive been 10 yards away from a couple of bears this year alone and I haven't had the slightest bit of fear in me. I don't know what happened out there either but the fact that they even called the game warden and several other things lead me to believe they didn't just set out to kills the wolf after drinking their 30 pabts as you say

oh yea and by the way Jose....I hiked out with the head of our elk and went back the next day for the rest too....you know how much meat went bad? 0

OK if any of you are ever in this situation do you:
a. stop drop and roll?
b. quickly call Jose to legally consult with how to make friends with the wolves because they are so wonderfull?
c. aim for the alpha female (likely the wolf with its tail held the highest?
d. shoot your horse because it has fire in its eyes
e. shoot every #$%! wolf that moves because you should have been doing this in the first place.

a. stop drop and roll?
b. quickly call Jose to legally consult with how to make friends with the wolves because they are so wonderfull?
e. shoot every #$%! wolf that moves because you should have been doing this in the first place.

hmm...the first one sounds attractive, yet not logical. did the horse's eyes in answer D light me on fire? If so, I think I'll just let it burn. Wolves are afraid of fire, don't you know

Is anyone keeping track of "Classic" Hunt Talk threads, because this one is getting there fast.

you got to pay the troll toll...

ever watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

a. stop drop and roll?

This is the funniest thing I've read all year! Thanks for the laugh sweetnectar! My belly hurts :)

Actually, that article about the gal who threatened her ex and a friend to perform a "sexual favor" was pretty damn funny too. I can't remember which forum it was in but I think it was the fireside.

Wolf murder, Although I am not as extreme as Jose, You have to admit he's right. I'm neither a wolf lover or hater but I see it all the time. "Wolves are killers". (YAh, really? so are yotes and lions and bears)...... They'll eat you up, they hunt you down..... Heck, If I had less brain cells then I do I'd even believe that crap and pack extra ammo to "protect myself". I've seen wolves, hear them all the time when out hunting, and had them run by us as well. I know they do put the hurt to the game. But packing sidearms and scared to death ? No way.

Although I haven't been "attacked" by wolves, I have been charged by a Sow protecting her cub. Ran full bore to 15 yards or so at me. I could have let her have it. She let me know she wasn't happy and to back the frigg up. I complied, and all was well.

Another hunttalker here came on his game with 2 bears on it. No weapon. He yelled, and the bears went to the bushes. He had no gun. Got his elk and backed out.

Another Doctor friend of mine was hunting elk on a trail ridge top and a pack of wolves came around him and when he uncovered his tarp in the middle of the night and shined his light they scattered.

Other friends have had wolves come in. And only "slowly" walk away, like they owned the place, but they left. I'd be worried about dumb uneducated young pups but not the older ones.

We were on Kodiak when a Big ol BROWN got between us and the boat and wanted the deer on our back. We made ourself known. Pushed forward and the bear stepped a side.

Another time ...... Hell, I can tell you stories about lions, bears, Wolves and rabbid rabbits all night, but, I can not tell you a story where someone got attacked by a wolf. Not one.

Some people are PU$$IES and your buddies that have the "wolf fear" in the article are just that. They had no middle ground on wolves. Read the story, Jose bolds the negative statements. They obviously hated them more then anything. I think they took the oppertunity to kill a wolf and then make up a good story... probably even believing most of it. Maybe even all of it.

I'm not saying I'm above shooting a wolf and making up a story.... but anyone thats not a Dumb a$$ retard can see these boys had a hate for a wolf and probably weren't threatened any more then I was last week packing out an elk with Wolves howling.

..................BOOOOOOO !!!! AHHHHhhhhhhhh, a wolf !!!! *INSERT ROLL EYES*

Moosie!!!! That was pretty eloquent! Mighty good post if I do say so myself and I'm not being sarcastic.

As for myself, I definitely don't see myself as a wolf hater and I'm definitely not a poacher. I don't even know if I'd shoot a wolf. I know the only time I've had an opportunity to shoot a wolf I took a picture instead. But I do not like the fact that wolves are having an adverse effect on the game numbers in our area. I also don't like the fact that we have too many hunters impacting the game numbers, as well as a couple hard winters several seasons ago.
..................BOOOOOOO !!!! AHHHHhhhhhhhh, a wolf !!!! *INSERT ROLL EYES*

That's been my attitude for a couple of years about the way some wolf haters have acted but I have to admit my attitude has changed a bit when I find wolf tracks and year old elk skulls that are 3/4 eaten in places that are winter range for the elk. And when people who spend a lot more time in the woods than myself can't find many elk it makes a fellow start looking for some answers. Somethings got to give and since I can't control the weather and I'm not allowed to shoot other hunters :) I really get upset when we aren't allowed to manage the other major factor in the decline of game. I think I speak for a lot of local hunters when my first impulse after hearing about a "poached" wolf is to cheer rather than turn the "poacher" in.

Gerald, you are taking ONE wardens word on how a wolf shooting may be handled by the state or Feds? I have heard a different tale from a Montana warden, best be careful about giving advice on how wolf poaching cases will be handled. Some hunter may be in court saying "Gerald Martin said I wouldn't get prosecuted".Just to be clear the $100,000 is the maximum fine spelled out in the ESA. Some may want to risk the $125 plus $1000.
TJones- if a wolf poacher wants to use the Gerald Martin says I won't be prosecuted defense that's fine with me :) He just better hope the judge and jury knows and likes me. :)
You make a good point that different LEOs will have different approaches to the way they respond to rumors and tips on wolf poaching. Obviously they have some discretion on which cases they deem most important to spend time and resources on investigating. Another warden might have a different attitude and throw the book at someone. My point is that realisticly no judge in this area is going to level the maximum fine on someone for shooting a wolf.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back