Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Some Saltwater San Diego Solutions, Please?

got fish?

I am going on a trip to San Diego July 4-7. While my wife goes shopping in town, I was thinking about doing some deep sea fishing.

I would appreciate some info, ANY info. anyone can provide.........Please!

1. I want it to be a quality outfit, but ECONOMICAL too.
2. I want to go on just a 1/2 or maybe a 3/4 day trip.
3. I want it to be economical.
4. I Most likely will be going by myself, but, 3 In-laws may decide to join me, so I would like to know if that would be possible too.
5. Someone please provide me with some details please!
6. call me, 480-539-2575(NO prank calls Elkhumpers) or [email protected]

Thanks a bunch

Okay Got Fish I see you finally came to your senses and quit messin around with these dinks.

I can help you out , but I need to know some budget restraints. As far as Tackle goes I have rigs for sale, Decent setup for around $85, or you can rent.

Let me do some checking around and Tomorrow I will have some Answers for you. You should really consider doing our Tuna Trip this Sept.

AJ, I knew I can count on you.

This will most likely be the last trip me and the fam can sqeeze out, due to the job thing. I'll probably want to rent, because it'll only be used once(this year, hopefully I can go again next year). I just want to have something to do while the mrs. goes shopping on one of the days i'm there. I'm already having a hell of a time talking to her about fishing of any kind, thanks to the fiasco Delw put me through last nite. I wanted to go and he wouldn't take me back to the dock. He got all whiny because I caught 2 fish and he caught THE BIG ZERO! :D

Thanks for any help you can offer AJ. I really appreciate it, even more so, because of the short time table I'm on. :D

Got fish,
If you are interested in a surf rod and reel combo give me a shout.
You can borrow mine. its not fancy but can help out a little. i have used it from piers also and it works okay.
It will handle 15-30# test and is 9'and comes in two pieces.
The only two catches, one is you have to have pictures of women wearing a del t-shirt :D and come over here to get it.

AJ, I might be interest in purchasing a couple of rigs from you. The price seems about fair.

GF?, go to Point Loma and jump on a 1/2 or 3/4 day boat. The guides are pretty good and the prices are fair. You can rent two rigs from the pier before you leave. Get a 20-25# set up and a 35-40# set-up. Be advised, however, the fish you catch will be your responsibility. Usually you can give them away or have them filleted. If the latter, be sure to bring an Ice Chest.

Have a lot of fun and take some pics over which we can drool.

Hey, I already got busted this morning for being out all nite with a bunch of hoodlums, I don't need more temptation.

She agreed to drop me off somewhere for 1/2 a day or so while she does her thing with her mom. That's all I get, so I want to take advantage of it.

Thanks for tips though, keep 'em coming. :D

Okay Got Fish? Here is some more info for you. Law Vegas is correct rent two rigs. Most likely they will be Penn Jigmasters. Check the line and drags on them. This early in the season they should be okay. Pick up about 50 1/0 and 2/0 Mustad circle hooks. Also about 25-30 ¼ oz rubber core sinkers. Buy a cheap pair of dikes (wire cutters) for line.
Cheap because they will get rusted. Motion sickeness pills, generics will work, take them before you get on board.

I am not sure about your funds so here are some options. If you can get your relatives to go I would charter a 6 pack boat, about $100 each. Below is a link to one, if you mention Shake, Rattle and Troll I believe you will get a discount. The reason for a six pack is that the ½ day charters usually have between 25-50 people on board. It can be pretty crowded.
A six pack is more of a custom charter. Listen to the Captain and deck hands. FORGET everyting about bass fishing here, it does not apply.

http://www.afinedayfishing.com

Here is a link for H&M landing, (My favorite) They have ½ and ¾ day boats. Watch the fish counts to see if the AM or PM runs are producing more fish. If you go on one of these, be-friend a seasoned fisherman. Be aware these are meat hunts and not catch and release. Again get to know the deckhand and let him know you are a newbie. Also bring som e cash for a tip, that is what these guys are working for.

http://navigation.helper.realnames.com/framer/1/112/default.asp?realname=H%26M+Landing&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehmlanding%2Ecom&frameid=1&providerid=112&uid=17562958

When you hook up a fish remember use your drags to wear out the fish, especially on Yellowtails. If you can swing it get a fighting belt, about $18 at Phx fishing supply. Remember also to pull up, wind down, pull up, wind down.

I came across this and thought it appropriate:

A Deckhand's Point of View

Written by Captain Mike Towle

Day Trip Tips

So you've been to the Fred Hall Show, you've purchased all of your tackle, lucky jigs, and designer hooks, you've re-spooled all your reels with fresh line (right?); now you are ready for the summer season. When you get to San Diego, you will notice something is missing. That one young cocky punk deckhand with the scruff and the big smile will not be there. I received my captain's license from the Coast Guard, and have taken a command in Samoa. I will be overseas until the middle of August. I know how much you will all miss me, so I figured that I would take a little time now, and go through some things that I have found helpful to make my day trips a little easier.

Let's start at home with your packing list: Set everything out you plan on taking; then cut that pile down by at least a third. For a typical day trip, you will end up using a lot less stuff than you think. I usually walk down to the boat with two rods and a backpack. The two rods are usually a 15-20 lb. baitcasting setup, and a 30-40 lb. rig for wide open bites. A small tackle box contains a significant number of hooks, sizes 2-3/0, some sliding egg sinkers (1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., 3/4 oz.), a few surface irons, and whatever trolling jigs/hooks/swivels that you may need. You may also want to throw in a handful of plastics to drop in on the slide. Your regular tackle box may be too much for a simple day trip. As for my day bag, I throw everything (tackle box included) into a backpack. The contents of the backpack are pretty basic: a jacket/sweatshirt, sunglasses, chapstick, dykes, and perhaps a dry pair of socks for the ride home-simple, light, basic and easy. Don't forget to stash an ice chest in your vehicle.

Upon arriving in San Diego, you will discover that parking near the landings is downright nasty. This is what I have found that works concerning parking. The first and most popular option for most anglers is to park in the main lot in front of the landings. The lot is full to capacity 24 hours a day, every day, for the entirety of the tuna season. The only way to get a spot, is to get there early, park in the middle of the lot, drop the tailgate, crack a cold one, and wait for a spot to open up. Parking in this lot will cost you $2 per 24 hours with validation.

Other options include the overflow lot off North Harbor Drive (between the two hotels) about 200 meters north of Fisherman's Landing. this lot is $2 per 24 hours and is to be paid in advance in the box at the head of the lot. Make sure that you pay the full amount and that you get it in the right number; they do tow.

Street parking is available in "Tunaville" (the Portuguese neighborhood) west of Rosecrans Blvd. This is a three block walk. A smart M.O. is to drop everybody off with all the gear, then one guy drives on to park. This neighborhood is fairly safe; most crewmen park here on a regular basis. In three years of parking here, I have had a rear view mirror vandalized once, and have seen it happen to another crewman. this seems to happen when you park in front of the same house for a month at a time.

After you have signed in, and stowed your gear, you may have time to get some dinner and a drink. If you have time, I recommend Miguel's Cocina on the corner of Scott Street and Shelter Island Drive, three blocks south of the landings on Scott Street. Miguel's serves excellent Mexican food, and is known for their white jalapeno cheese dip that is served with their chips. Combinations/Entrees run from $8 to $14 and are excellent.

If you don't have too much time, but still want a light dinner or a pint, I recommend Hudson Bay Seafood Company at Point Loma Sportfishing. Great seafood, and beer on draught, but a little spendy.

If you need to pick up some tackle, there are several options, but only two that I would recommend. The first being Fisherman's Landing Tackle Shop. This shop probably has the best selection in San Diego, and is conveniently located at Fisherman's Landing. Angler's Choice is another great tackle shop with a good selection and a very knowledgeable staff. Angler's Choice is located at the corner of Garrison Street and Rosecrans Blvd., one block west of Fisherman's Landing (in the same building as Ship and Shore Liquor).

Make sure you are on the boat with time to spare. Some skippers like to get out a few minutes early to avoid the nightly floating fiasco at the bait receivers. On the way out to the bait receivers is a good time to introduce yourself to the deckcrew, and learn their names. Ask them about the fishing and how to rig up. Pick their brains, these guys are pros. They are out there fishing everyday, and they know what is working. Use this to your advantage.

The trip out to the receivers is also a good time to let some bare line off your reels out behind the boat. this stretches your line out, takes out kinks and puts it back on the reel nice and tight.

Get to bed early on the way out. The guys who catch all the fish are not the ones who were up all night getting drunk and playing cards. The real fish killers are all asleep early.

When you get back to the dock, the easiest program is for one guy to get the vehicle, while the others get all gear and the filets. You will need to get ice for your filets for the trip home. Ice can be purchased form the "ice trolls" at the top of the dock for $7. It is not worth risking your filet's to save $7. If you are lucky, you will find yourself with more filets than space in your ice chest. If this is the case, styrofoam ice chests can be purchased from Vons on Rosecrans Blvd. at the corner of Nimitz Blvd., About 4 blocks north of Fisherman's Landing) for a reasonable price.

These are some of the things that I do, or have seen, that I believe are helpful in making trips run smoother. These may not apply to you, or work for you, but hopefully a few of these tips may improve your fishing experience in San Diego. Have a great season, tight lines, screaming drags, and please dont forget to tip your crew.

Captain Mike Towle
[email protected]

I just saw that one in the truck stop out here...."want a cheap hooker call#480 539 2575" I didn't realize it was a lagitimate no...... :D :D :D :D

Yea!!!
Trust is a sacred thing..We know how much it is adheerd to in this fishing section...Kinda like the truth..... :D :D :D

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back