Solo Wyoming

brockel

The winds blowing 30mph here, my coyotes are skinned and in the freezer, I don’t have any reloading to do at the moment, and the wife and kids are at her parents for the weekend so I’ve been doing more research on elk hunting Wyoming. I’m sitting at 5 points this year. From what I can come up with I’m kinda sitting in no mans land with 5 points. Not enough for the good areas and the areas I can draw with 5 from what I’ve read seem to be about like a general unit with maybe not as many people. I’m not a trophy hunter for elk I just love to elk hunt. This will be a solo hunt if I draw as I don’t know anyone with same amount of points as me. Am I crazy to just use up my 5 on a general tag or do I use them on an area that can be drawn with 5 or do I just continue the points game and keep buying?

I'd recommend using your 5 points on a general tag. There are some great general areas in Wyoming.

Yeah, I think either use them on the general and probably not waste more than 1 point, or wait for several more years to catch the better quota units. I'm not aware of a 5 pt unit I would recommend over a general.

Not sure about Montana but as far as the other western states, I'd put a Wyoming General tag way up there in terms of quality and quantity of elk. I'd use the points and go hunt. If you're not a trophy hunter, you won't be disappointed in my opinion and you'd still have a good opportunity at a trophy bull if you were so inclined.

As a former Wyoming resident who now lives in Colorado, I long for the days of the Wyoming general tag. It is a great tag with a ton of opportunity. That doesn't really help you though. Good thing about the general is you can hunt it every couple or few years. Good luck

I just looked at pref poins from 2020 and wow! If everybody that applied and didnt draw reapplies it may take 4 or even 4+ to be 100% on reg gen tag thats crazy. But thats where things are now wih elk tags. The cow tag idea to scout is valid in normal years but they are not OTC and draws/zones that use to get 2 tags now have 40% of 1 tag being drawn. I have buddies in every year and last year not a single guy drew tags, usually we have about 6 cow tags in camp. The way things are hunt when you can!

I have no idea what the general tags in WY hold but it seems the general consensus is lots of good elk hunting. I'm two points in. Being in no man's land I say go hunt now.

I'm in about the same boat with 4 points. I plan on hunting general in 2021. We have some experience hunting deer in the same areas we want to elk hunt. Hopefully that will give us a little edge. See a lot of nice bulls coming from general hunts

Always people that want to go until it’s time to pony up. Most of the time it’s just easier to roll solo. Well until one hits the turf
Agreed! Most guys love the idea of traveling somewhere new to hunt until it’s time to actually apply. The best is when they tell you they bought their points even though they whimped out 2 years ago on the hunt and don’t have the balls to tell ya. Good luck on your research.

I agree but in my opinion an elk hunt is not the place to go on a first hunt with someone. Been there done that.
But I am super easy to get along with (just ask my 4th wife) and you will have a great source of hunting info and a whole pack of llamas... That line worked for me last year on a fellow with 9 pts, not sure if it works with lesser pt holders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back