PEAX Equipment

Solo watercraft

Flatlander14

I am working on accessing a new part of the property where I hunt (NJ whitetails). I’ll need to carry a canoe for about 100 yards then paddle about 1 mile down a small stream to my new spot. Probably another 1/2 mile to the take out point after that. This stream is tiny in spots, can wade most of it. It does eventually open up and get about 8’ deep.

I have been looking at some solo canoes (old towne next) and then started thinking about inflatables. Any thoughts? I currently own an aluminum 15’ Grumman which would be too loud and maybe too big.

I will have a solid days work of trimming dead falls before I can do this trip easily, was planning on a combo wader/canoe trip with the chain saw for that project.
Thanks in advance.

I would check out Jackson kayak, I know a couple guys who use them for waterfowl and we have used them to get in fishing spots you couldn’t put my bass tracker.

I would check out Jackson kayak, I know a couple guys who use them for waterfowl and we have used them to get in fishing spots you couldn’t put my bass tracker.
+1
BB.jpg

AA.jpg

BE1F0B1C-34C1-4B56-802D-1DB16F0C277D.jpeg
I used to use an Old Town Discovery to get to one of my honey holes and loved it. Enough room for all of my gear and deer. Look at CL or some type of similar site and you can find great deals.

I picked up a Jackson Kilroy second hand and I love it! Any open design kayak would likely fit the bill though. Most of the public land near my house abuts a large river system. Use it for deer, turkey, and fishing of course. Plenty of room, but easy to transport. Bought a cheap wheel kit on amazon which really minimizes the weight I have to carry. Usually transporting it half mile to a mile on some type of grade.

Check these out. https://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/

My son picked one up used for 200 bucks. It's aluminum but foam lined and very quite. It's light, under 12 foot, easy for one person to handle and very stable. I prefer using it for solo fishing on small ponds over a kayak and have been eyeballing spots I want to use it to access hunting. His has seat in front too.

1583852312976.png

Thanks Guys. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a 2nd canoe/kayak for a while. Anything from a Nu Canoe, Jackson Kayak to the Old Towner Next and 119. Most of my time I am on open water fishing solo or with one of the kids, but this scenario is different. Going to be a tight squeeze and some shallow water at times. Thanks again.

On a side note: I am 6'3" 265#s, so it may limit me on some options!

Almost any of the pack rafts could work for you. Alpacas are pretty popular, but there are other manufacturers as well. It sounds like a float tube could even be made to work. Tow along a truck tire tube to float out the carcass (if successful). Lots of options.

Those fly crafts are damn nice, but way out of my price range!
Found a sports pal (not the Meyers version but close) for $260. It might be the ticket.

I just picked up a 10ft flat bottom jon boat,

I will be using it to access deer hunting spots along a river!! Can't wait to give it a try this fall. Does anyone have recommendations for accessories for it?

@Big Fin, Marcus and Micheal slipped a little preview on Instastory last week some time. Looked like fun was had by all with some inflatable action of moving waters.

We will soon have a promo code for Alpacka Rafts. We used them last week. Very impressive, especially for something that only weighs 8.5#.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back