Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Solo hunting advice

This is a great thread on a subject I've worried over considerably since adding elk to my hunting schedule. I've hunted solo for most of my hunts, partly out of necessity and partly because I like the freedom of making decisions on the fly. I've had no problems/worries till I added elk to my hunting schedule. I imagine shooting an elk during September archery where the elk is in a steep canyon several miles from the nearest road with temps in the 80's. It's daunting to think about, especially as I approach my mid-50's. I appreciate the comments from HT folks with experience in this arena.

I'm thinking HT might be useful to try and link up with others who draw my unit and are in the same situation. Maybe we would have an understanding to at least team up to help pack out meat.

Don't pack your fears??? I'm not sure how to interpret that. I wouldn't pack a tent, in reach or spot is I had no fear of bad weather, rain, or having some sort of accident. When I was young I packed hardly anything. When I was very young I would go out with no water. Several times I ended up drinking out of cow ponds or creeks when things became desperate. As I got older I packed items based on my experience of suffering and failure. I don't always need a backup lighter or extra batteries, but they have saved the day on some occasions.

Try camping for a weekend by yourself. No Phone. Make it a hike out and back during less than favorable weather. Test your gear and yourself. Spring rain season. I get board after a while when solo hunting for too long. An actual book might be worth the weight. Oh, and no fires. This seems to be the norm out west as the arid conditions persist yearly. This one sucks the most because I can sit for hours staring at a campfire.

Also, I worry much more about humans than wild animals (outside grizzly country). I'm more comfortable camping solo in the backcountry than near traveled areas. I worked a job for a couple of years that had me solo in Oregon coastal backwoods at night. It was scary at first, especially on rainy, foggy nights. I worked at changing my attitude to where the bears, mt lion, squatch had better watch out lest they meet up with me in the dark. I had a machete and kind of convinced myself, whether true or not, that I was the baddest mutha in the woods. It worked most of the time and I'm glad I was never tested. Basically, just lie to yourself!

Yup, I've got a spot and am thinking of upgrading to one of the Garmin inreaches or something that allows a little more communication than my current device (canned message/tracking only).
I too use a Spot and as a solo hunter I prefer it to an InReach. I hit the "ok" button in the morning and before bed. The second button says " elk down, clear out the freezer". The non emergency button tells my wife that I'm ok but to send a tow truck to the coordinates on Spot. I put together a list of who to call from the nearest town before the hunt.
With dual communication, my hunt would go something like this:
Me: Hi baby, hunted hard today and found elk! Formulating a plan to close in on them tomorrow. Wish me luck.
My Wife: The pool guy didn't show up today and my mom thinks she has a brain tumor. Good luck.
Day 2.
Me: Closed with a nice bull but ran out of daylight. I'll get him today I hope.
My Wife: Mom's tumor turned out to be a headache but she's sure her pacemaker is cramping out. The pool's turning green.
Day 3:
Me: Another foot and I would have had a clear shot at that bull. I'll get him today!
My Wife: Jill called in sick so I'm stuck with her work as well as mine today. Still no pool guy. Mom's ankles are swollen. She thinks it's a blood clot. Enjoy your day.
Me: I'll be home later today.

See what I mean? I prefer one way communication.

Personally, everything has a certain place in my pack, that way I don't need a light to find it. Also, everything in my pack is the same from early season to late season. It's a little extra weight, but by the second or third weekend of hunting I don't even notice it.

Hello all.. I’m requesting any good tips/tactics on solo hunting elk. I’m a Midwest hunter, deer/turkey for 26 plus years. Been elk hunting five times in the last 15 years and three times in the last three years with a bow in the backcountry. I can process a deer in my sleep and have quartered elk in the mountains. What I haven’t done is elk hunted in the backcountry solo. My hunting partners are starting to talk about backing out of hunts. I’m wanting to continue to go and I’m formulating a plan to continue to elk hunt each year, even if I’m going solo. I will be doing Colorado again this year because I’m familiar and no grizzly. Once I get a few solo trips under my belt, will tackle bear country. Any advise from the solo crowd out there would be much appreciated!!!
Just bring a good sat phoen or gps that you can communicate with. Iridium extreme 9575 is what I have and love it.

Lady’s and gentlemen, again I want to think you all for the great advise. I’m fairly new to hunttalk and my first thread. The overwhelming advise and support is awesome. I’m planning my trip out carefully using many of the tips you have all shared....p cord hidden everywhere, inreach already packed, On x gps, and a paper map with compass for backup. My company has enacted a new Covid travel policy that I am hoping will not effect me. As long as I’m good there, I will be trying this in September. The excitement of the challenge out weights the fears.

didnt see anyone mention this yet (if it was, then great): make sure to bring a water purifier/filter and figure out water sources in the area you'll be hunting.
generally speaking CO high country running water sources are very clean. i personally carry a Sawyer MINI filter, it's something like 3 or 4 oz + i bring 3 x 32oz squeeze bags (these are for Unfiltered/dirty water) and i have 1 clean container Nalgene bottle or 2l bladder. you can use purifying tablets but they take longer and effect the tasts. *(if anything bring a few as a backup to your filter if you like, they weight nothing).

overall sounds like you're experienced and have the right gear. while we do have Black Bears an Mtn Lions in CO, i would not loose sleep over it. My personal biggest concern is getting bit by a snake while being 4+ miles out :)
DO Make sure that when setting up your tent that you're clear of possible deadfall/rotted trees, that is more likely to kill you when winds pick up middle of the night.
good luck, i will also be out there few weekends SOLO archery hunting *(this will be my 1st time Archery hunting).

I too use a Spot and as a solo hunter I prefer it to an InReach. I hit the "ok" button in the morning and before bed. The second button says " elk down, clear out the freezer". The non emergency button tells my wife that I'm ok but to send a tow truck to the coordinates on Spot. I put together a list of who to call from the nearest town before the hunt.
With dual communication, my hunt would go something like this:
Me: Hi baby, hunted hard today and found elk! Formulating a plan to close in on them tomorrow. Wish me luck.
My Wife: The pool guy didn't show up today and my mom thinks she has a brain tumor. Good luck.
Day 2.
Me: Closed with a nice bull but ran out of daylight. I'll get him today I hope.
My Wife: Mom's tumor turned out to be a headache but she's sure her pacemaker is cramping out. The pool's turning green.
Day 3:
Me: Another foot and I would have had a clear shot at that bull. I'll get him today!
My Wife: Jill called in sick so I'm stuck with her work as well as mine today. Still no pool guy. Mom's ankles are swollen. She thinks it's a blood clot. Enjoy your day.
Me: I'll be home later today.

See what I mean? I prefer one way communication.
Isn't that the truth! I swear to god EVERY time I get settled in to camp and am in cell phone reach the first call, the FIRST call, is ALWAYS my better half letting me know that the wheels are coming off of the wagon! Unfortunately after that first call I always seem to be out of cell range... :rolleyes:

Don't underestimate how big these guys are, packing solo is incredibly hard especially in warm weather. I know my limit is 2 miles from my truck/base camp solo. That's 16 miles with a 60 pound pack to get the meat, cape and antlers.
I think it’s more than 16mi. I got 264lbs not counting bones, cape or skull. I have not put one down solo, but I plan 5 trips for the elk and one for camp if I’m sleeping away from the truck. 3-4 if I decide to leave the cape and skull behind. How those guys do a bull in 2-3 trips is beyond me. They may well be a lot tougher than I am.

Isn't that the truth! I swear to god EVERY time I get settled in to camp and am in cell phone reach the first call, the FIRST call, is ALWAYS my better half letting me know that the wheels are coming off of the wagon! Unfortunately after that first call I always seem to be out of cell range... :rolleyes:
Heh, I hear ya. It's bad enough that she has one of her computer screens designated to track me the entire hunt. Every 30 minutes Spot sends her my location on a map. Sometimes it feels like I'm wearing some court ordered ankle bracelet!
In all seriousness though she's my biggest fan. Great woman.

You seem to be worried about bears. No need to be but i'm curious where you plan to hunt that won't have bears?

I'd suggest you don't go too deep for your first solo hunt and maybe even shoot a cow. Just to see how you get along with getting the meat out yourself.

Hello all.. I’m requesting any good tips/tactics on solo hunting elk. I’m a Midwest hunter, deer/turkey for 26 plus years. Been elk hunting five times in the last 15 years and three times in the last three years with a bow in the backcountry. I can process a deer in my sleep and have quartered elk in the mountains. What I haven’t done is elk hunted in the backcountry solo. My hunting partners are starting to talk about backing out of hunts. I’m wanting to continue to go and I’m formulating a plan to continue to elk hunt each year, even if I’m going solo. I will be doing Colorado again this year because I’m familiar and no grizzly. Once I get a few solo trips under my belt, will tackle bear country. Any advise from the solo crowd out there would be much appreciated!!!
Use any online resources you can find. Some pay sites have good info on draw statistics in areas you may be interested in.

Heh, I hear ya. It's bad enough that she has one of her computer screens designated to track me the entire hunt. Every 30 minutes Spot sends her my location on a map. Sometimes it feels like I'm wearing some court ordered ankle bracelet!
In all seriousness though she's my biggest fan. Great woman.
Ha! Same here! My biggest supporter and glad to have her in my corner!

Was doing a sheep solo last fall
I'm straining to resist making a smart-ass comment about "...doing a sheep solo..." so I'll move on to the serious question.

If you don't mind my asking, what species did you hunt? Draw a limited entry tag, or were you hunting one of Montana's unlimited sheep units?

That critter on my back in my avatar image was taken on a solo backpacking hunt in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness in the mid-1980's.

I mostly participate in the MT Unlimited thread here on HuntTalk; but I found myself meandering around a little this evening after noticing a Big Tree thread. Next to sub-alpine transition zones in western mountains, my favorite country is old-growth big timber. Sadly, the vast majority of that habitat in huntable (not National Park, Indian reservation, military base and etc.) areas of western Washington was already clear-cut by the time I started hunting it.

When I have more time to spare, I'll contribute some tips and anecdotes regarding solo backpack hunting to this thread. A favorite topic for me is to encourage other hunters to develop their bivouacking techniques and confidence. It definitely didn't happen overnight, but doing so significantly enhanced my hunting ability and enjoyment when I was young. On shorter trips in my now advanced years, the ability to hunker down knowing that I'm better off staying put rather that risking pushing my limits in poor light or pitch dark has keep me from doing something more foolish than merely traveling too far out to accomplish a daylight return.

There's way more dangerous predators here in Las Vegas than I would ever find in the woods.
I was on Lake Mead Blvd waiting for a traffic light to change the day before Veterans' Day 2019 when a young guy running from cops sideswiped a city bus, clobbered a Blazer hard, careened of it into an Expedition, then still coupled with the Expedition slid backwards into my Ram 2500, at which point my throttle jammed open due to the impact tightening the cable and I drove the three of us into a compact car before I could turn the key off. The cops slid to a halt in the intersection as I watched the culprit driver try unsuccessfully to exit driver's door of (his mother's) 2018 Chevy Silverado by reaching through the shattered window to the outer door latch. One of the cops was outside his car drawing and leveling his sidearm as the driver bailed out of the passenger side of the Chevy and took off on foot.

It cost $315 to have my truck towed by a foul-mouthed thug of a tow operator about 150 yards to the parking lot behind a Goodwill Store where I spent the next five nights and days surrounded by homeless people, litter, trash scattering birds and all sorts of illicit activities while I made arrangements to get my totaled truck and myself 1300 miles back home.

I've experienced a couple dicey bear encounters; but they were over in minutes; nothing like misery of nearly a week living in a disabled pickup in Las Vegas!

I'm straining to resist making a smart-ass comment about "...doing a sheep solo..." so I'll move on to the serious question.

If you don't mind my asking, what species did you hunt? Draw a limited entry tag, or were you hunting one of Montana's unlimited sheep units?

That critter on my back in my avatar image was taken on a solo backpacking hunt in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness in the mid-1980's.

I mostly participate in the MT Unlimited thread here on HuntTalk; but I found myself meandering around a little this evening after noticing a Big Tree thread. Next to sub-alpine transition zones in western mountains, my favorite country is old-growth big timber. Sadly, the vast majority of that habitat in huntable (not National Park, Indian reservation, military base and etc.) areas of western Washington was already clear-cut by the time I started hunting it.

When I have more time to spare, I'll contribute some tips and anecdotes regarding solo backpack hunting to this thread. A favorite topic for me is to encourage other hunters to develop their bivouacking techniques and confidence. It definitely didn't happen overnight, but doing so significantly enhanced my hunting ability and enjoyment when I was young. On shorter trips in my now advanced years, the ability to hunker down knowing that I'm better off staying put rather that risking pushing my limits in poor light or pitch dark has keep me from doing something more foolish than merely traveling too far out to accomplish a daylight return.

I was 16 during the hunt and wasn’t completely solo because my dad drove to the hunt and hiked up to tree line with me but everything else was by myself. Planning, hunting and when I killed one I went over cleaned/packed it out myself. He never even saw where I killed it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back